Forum Index » GEAR » What's your favorite cooking setup for one?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Reigle
(jreigle) - F - M

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: What's your favorite cooking setup for one? on 08/08/2011 13:38:06 MDT Print View

Basic Ti wing esbit stove (like the wetfire stove) - 13g/.46oz
450ml mug - 55g/1.96 oz
Foil for windscreen and lid - 5g/.17oz

Total weight: 73g / 2.6oz

You can also turn this into an alcohol burner with the addition of an aluminum tealight holder @ 4 grams + fuel container.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Cat Stove on 08/08/2011 13:55:23 MDT Print View

I use a cat stove and a Heine pot. I protect my pot from the inside instead of from the outside. Just use a fuel bottle that fits fairly snugly inside the Heine pot and it can't be crushed. I have just enough room to fit the stove, windscreen, and lighter(barely) inside my can. There just isn't enough room left for the can to crush.

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
I'm w/ Eugene on this one on 08/08/2011 18:45:50 MDT Print View

BPL 1100

I know, this is a two person set-up but you get the idea...UL ti and good ol' fashion warmth. Gotta love it.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
favorite on 08/08/2011 19:19:23 MDT Print View

my lightest is a ti wing esbit stove, diy ti windscreen and a 450 SP mug

my favorite however is a 4 Dog LT1 w/ a 600 SP mug, can burn esbit or wood (usually wood)-the LT1 nests perfectly in the 600 and is still a pretty light combo

Hal Potts
(halpotts) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
What's your favorite cooking setup for one? on 08/08/2011 21:20:03 MDT Print View

I'm also a big fan of the Caldera Keg F. It is amazing in the wind, very fuel efficient, and super light. I didn't like the idea of the caddy either until one day it dawned on me that I could use the caddy for both a cup and a bowl and carry less stuff. Seems obvious in retrospect. It is fragile and I see how you could accidentally step on it and have a problem. In the beginning I tried using one without the caddy thinking I would save a few ounces, but ended up eventually mashing up the cone inside my backpack and had to buy another one. Now I always use the caddy and have had no problems since.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
CC Sidewinder wood burner ti stove on 08/08/2011 22:14:35 MDT Print View

My Caldera Cone ti Sidewinder in ESBIT mode or Inferno wood burning mode. It fits inside my matching 3 cup hard anodized aluminum pot or in my pack's side pocket.

This CC version is very efficient for burning wood due to its double wall Inferno conversion. In areas where wood burning is prohibited I use the even lighter ESBIT Gram Cracker setup. I've found it to be at least 40% more efficient than my previous Vargo Tri Ti ESBIT stove & windscreen in terms of fuel consumption.

seth mcalister
(sethmcalister) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Zelph Stoves on 08/09/2011 12:02:36 MDT Print View

I purchased a Zelph stove at the beginning of the summer - the Venom Super Stove. Very disappointed. Have not been able to achieve a boil with 2 ozs of alchol in near perfect conditions.

I recently changed to a Batchstovez 1.0 and using just under 1 oz (miscalculated) I was at a near boil in about 8 minutes. It's a kit that comes with the ziploc container, windscreen, heat shield and a KFC plastic spoon. The ziploc container comes with the large bottom and the top that screws on to protect the stove.

I ditched the bottom, cut down the top part for measuring. Total, including my ziploc baggie cozy I'm at about 5.7 ozs. If i make my own windscreen/heatshield it'll drop to about 5.2 ozs. This is with the mesh storage sack that I'm currently using and an empty fuel bottle that weighs .6 ozs.

Much happier with this stove thus far.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Zelph Stoves on 08/09/2011 12:38:36 MDT Print View

Seth, something sounds wrong about the Venom performance. What were you using for fuel?

--B.G.--

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Zelph on 08/09/2011 13:19:32 MDT Print View

I've been using a similar Zelph stove called the "Super Stove" for quite some time and have found it to be the most efficient alcohol stove I've ever used and I have had a few.

The Zelph burns a little slower than the others and I think that may be part of the reason it is so efficient.

But if it isn't behind a wind screen and/or the lid is not on your pot, your results would be less than ideal.

I usually use something like 3/4 oz to make a 1 liter meal.

I like the slower cook time as it allows me to cook more foods without scorching. It works better in the cold than most stoves and doesn't spill burning alcohol when accidentally knocked over

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Zelph on 08/09/2011 13:24:17 MDT Print View

Some of that will be different depending on the diameter of the cook pot.

--B.G.--

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
boiler werks on 08/09/2011 13:43:25 MDT Print View

I am using the backcountry boiler (9oz) with a msr titan mug. Works great!

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Zelph on 08/09/2011 15:53:03 MDT Print View

As Bob said "depending on the diameter of the cook pot"

I agree and I use a short wide pot. I find that a lot of energy gets wasted with with most alky stoves and tall skinny pots.
A high percentage of the heat goes up the side of a skinny pot instead of being focused on the bottom.

Edited by brooklynkayak on 08/09/2011 15:56:32 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Zelph on 08/09/2011 16:05:06 MDT Print View

Steven, which short wide pot do you use?

I have large wide pots, tall skinny pots, medium pots, tiny pots, and teakettles.

--B.G.--

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Short Wide and Zelph on 08/09/2011 16:37:58 MDT Print View

My pot is the Montbell Titanium Cooker #2, but I use a thick foil lid instead of the one that it came with
Click here for details

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Short Wide and Zelph on 08/09/2011 17:02:00 MDT Print View

i use the old style heiny pot, (thank you thank you thank you Konrad) and the Zelph cobalt blue soloist, or the zelph super stove.
in perfect conditions, no wind and temps above 55°, 2 cups boil at 7 minutes time.

i wonder if your Voodoo stove is a fluke in mal-performance? i'm using yellow HEET.

iirc, mini bic, small cloth, gsi spork, pot/lid/wilson topper, windscreen, stove and empty fuel container is 5.4 oz.

Joe Newton
(grayjoe)
Zelph super stove on 08/09/2011 17:53:59 MDT Print View

I have used the zelph super stove with a variety of pots ranging from heiny pots up to Kmart grease pot size and have had excellent results with it. I have burned both yellow Heet and denatured alcohols with good result. The stove does best if the wind screen is a bit back from the stove. I have found that the stove is much more efficient if it burns slowly and does not overheat and flare up.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Zelph super stove on 08/09/2011 18:01:53 MDT Print View

"wind screen is a bit back from the stove"

I like to have enough space there to be able to fit my fingers into. Any more, and there is a loss of too much heat. Any less, and it is too tight for the stove to breathe. Maybe 0.4-0.5"

--B.G.--

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Pot shape AND material on 08/10/2011 13:57:59 MDT Print View

Yep, we all know shorter, wider pots are more efficient than taller, narrow pots.

What many don't know is that, size for size, shape for shape, aluminum pots heat faster and more evenly on the bottom than ti pots.

Thus > wide aluminum pot (hard anodized or non-stick) are the most efficient.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Pot shape AND material on 08/10/2011 14:42:30 MDT Print View

Eric, put your aluminum pot into a hot wood fire for a while, and then let's talk about it. If you never use a wood fire, then it makes sense.

--B.G.--

seth mcalister
(sethmcalister) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
zelph super stove on 08/16/2011 06:01:08 MDT Print View

I'm using a heine pot and denatured alcohol. Conditions should be perfect as I tested in my cellar w/o wind. I had purchased two of them, gave one to a friend of mine thru-hiking the AT. He got rid of his because he said it took over 10 minutes to boil, if he could get it to boil. He was using a gsi pot and denatured. Maybe you guys are right in saying it's a bad batch, but I can't see how it could be?