Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 11:37:57 MDT Print View

Other than having to clean it up after a meal, is there any additional downside to using a quart sized Ziploc Twist n Loc container for freezer bag cooking instead of individual ziploc freezer bags? Was thinking about using this for re-hydrating my meals and then packing the meals in lighter bags and fewer of them.

Was also thinking I could use the container as a bowl, mug and as a steripen container.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
container on 08/05/2011 12:09:13 MDT Print View

Just the weight.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: container on 08/05/2011 12:42:04 MDT Print View

Haven't done the math yet, but I'm figuring that it would replace the bowl/mug I was going to take and would allow me to take bags that are lighter than freezer bags and/or fewer bags (8 days worth), so the weight would be roughly a wash.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 12:48:27 MDT Print View

Some people do use those yes. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 13:16:28 MDT Print View

They work great and are cheap. Weight wise they are not bad for what they are either!

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 14:17:36 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input. I guess my other concern would be in bear territory do I need to worry about the residual odors attracting a bear that might come to examine it and potentially crush it, rendering it useless for the rest of my trip?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 14:34:37 MDT Print View

I always bear bag any gear which has ever touched food.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 18:28:06 MDT Print View

Yes, always bear bag the container. It will eventually absorb odors and further...I only leave out pots that I boil water in (no cooking). I don't worry about my pot but my mug and spoon + cozy go in my Ursack at night.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc for Freezer Bag Cooking on 08/05/2011 21:34:59 MDT Print View

I suspect those are heavier than these:
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx?SizeName=Medium%20Bowl
Which I have used for years as my bowl/reconstituting container. I've used other brands as well, they all work. About 1.5 oz for the 3-cup size. Cleaning is a piece of cake - just put in a little water, swish it around and drink it.

Terry G
(delvxe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ziploc Twist n Loc / NOT water tight on 08/09/2011 14:01:56 MDT Print View

In my experience, those containers are not water tight. I would readily adopt them as a standard part of my setup if they were because I sometimes make meals that involve soaking for a couple of hours on the trail before eating them. Right now I use bags for those meals and a cottage-cheese type container for my bowl when in camp. They stack nicely.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Ziploc Twist n Loc / NOT water tight on 08/09/2011 14:07:01 MDT Print View

"cottage-cheese type container"

Yes, or the 15-oz plastic margarine tub (about 0.4 oz weight).

--B.G.--