November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DSLR Harness for 11 bucks! On Amazon
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
DSLR Harness for 11 bucks! On Amazon on 08/05/2011 10:06:24 MDT Print View

For those looking to build a DSLR top loading harness, I just found this on crazy clearance (80% off). Ordered yesterday off amazon, came today! 4 left as of this posting

Ton's of connection points/D-rings on the backside so you can easily rig a harness that connects to your backpack straps/belt

I realize that Amazon does not list a picture, but I have it in hand, and it's exactly the same as shown on Tamrac's website:

It fit our Canon Rebel with std 18-55 kit lens

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Weight? on 08/05/2011 18:24:58 MDT Print View

Awesome. Weight?

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Weight on 08/06/2011 08:16:57 MDT Print View

Shoot, I'm at a wedding this weekend, so it's not in front of me. I recall it being either 6 or 6.5oz with the main neck strap removed. It is padded on all sides with foam, and has metal hardware which should explain a portion of the weight

Also, it looks like there's only 1 left and amazon jacked the price up to 40 some dollars. Either it was a pricing error or the sale is over. Either way 3 other people got a sweet deal.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 08/06/2011 08:20:32 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Re: Weight on 08/06/2011 12:16:03 MDT Print View

I bet you could get that down to around 5 ounces too.

I took a LowePro Toploader Zoom 45 AW and removed the straps and rain fly, cut off the top handle, sewed that webbing into small loops in case I wanted to attach something, and cut off the front pocket to get it down to 5 ounces even. It is basically the same model as your case, and was about the same weight without the straps. I clipped two mini carabiners to the D-rings to hang it from my shoulder straps bringing it up to 5.3. I may replace the zipper pulls to see if I can get it back down to 5 even.

IMHO, 5.3 ounces for a fully protected DSLR case is worth it.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 08/06/2011 12:22:50 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Re: Re: Weight on 08/06/2011 12:20:45 MDT Print View

I was looking at the Tamrac website, and I think I like your case even better than mine. The sizing is a little more fitted for a compact DSLR. One of my biggest problems with chest packs is that they can obscure my feet.

Excellent choice of bag!

Chris Brubaker

Locale: PNW
case on 08/06/2011 21:10:19 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, now back up to $42