Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/04/2011 22:54:06 MDT Print View

Stupid question...can someone just name a few toothpaste brands and types that have been proven to dry into nice toothpaste dots? My tooth paste (Tom's of Maine) refuses to dry. Before I go out and experiment and end up with a bunch of extra toothpaste, I was hoping someone could give me some leads. I've heard to avoid the gel type, and maybe stick with the pure white stuff, but I don't know. Tom's of maine was white, but it didn't dry out at all. Anyone try sensodyne?
Thanks

Edited by Konrad1013 on 08/04/2011 22:54:45 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/04/2011 22:56:04 MDT Print View

Crest original works good.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
more stupid questions on 08/05/2011 03:07:15 MDT Print View

I never tried toothpaste dots and always just bring a mini-tube of toothpaste with me.

How does one make them, exactly? Do you just let them dry out on their own, or do you put them in the oven or dehydrator or something?

I saw on a video of Mike C. that you chew them like gum to get them re-hydrated, then brush your teeth. Is this process more difficult than using regular toothpaste?

How much weight savings is there? A full mini-tube I have weighs 41g, and one of these usually lasts me about 8-10 days, and of course gets lighter and lighter with each use.

Just wondering.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Tooth Paste Dots on 08/05/2011 06:32:49 MDT Print View

Just squeeze out some on a plate or whatever and let that little log roll dry out. Cut into little pieces when dry. Very light. Dots and a little baggie weigh less than some travel size tubes empty.
Plus you can take what you need.

Edited by kthompson on 08/05/2011 06:33:24 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Toothpaste on 08/05/2011 07:18:49 MDT Print View

I just get the little pill ziplocks from walmart and squeeze a little toothpaste into them. Its a lot lighter than a mini tube and takes no effort .5 oz and after 8-9 days I have leftover

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Re: Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/05/2011 08:22:22 MDT Print View

I think I had good luck with the Crest Original, too.

You can get a few kinds of the travel size tubes and try those. Arm & Hammer didn't dry for me, nor did Crest ProHealth.

The little dots are great once you figure 'em out. I chew on one for a few seconds and as that instinct to swallow comes in, I start brushing, which breaks down the rest of the dot and creates the typical texture of tooth paste.

Edited by AaronMB on 08/05/2011 08:24:40 MDT.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Toothpaste DOTS on 08/05/2011 13:43:48 MDT Print View

This is a more fun item than anything else, and fun count for a lot.........especially with kids. With this idea you can forgo the tube toothpaste altogether and simply use the same toothpaste but in a "dot" form. COLGATE white toothpaste works! After three days at 160*F in a food dryer the CREST (two different formulations and color) was still sticky, while the COLGATE toothpaste took 12hrs at 160* to get the result you see in the pic.

dots

After the toothpaste is dry, I used a scissors and cut the "toothpaste rope" into half-inch segment. I sprinkled a tiny bit of baking soda into a baggie and placed the dots in the bags and shook the bag to keep the dots from sticking if any moisture was present. Right before bedtime chew'em like gum before brushing. Easy..yes!

dots

Just came back from a 5 day trip with four of my grandchildren and they ALL thought these "little white things" were cool! As the "old saying goes" KISMIF....Keep It Simple Make It Fun. Great gimmick to get kids to brush more than once per day.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Toothpaste DOTS on 08/05/2011 14:15:03 MDT Print View

Timely discussion. We just tried this the other night and after a full night in the dehydrator the toothpaste was still very sticky. Looks like the trick is to get a different brand, which I hadn't even considered.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/05/2011 14:30:37 MDT Print View

Travel style toothpase in tube weighs 1 oz. Apart from having some fun with young children, I see no reason to do this.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
The toothpaste-dot approach on 08/05/2011 15:09:13 MDT Print View

>Travel style toothpase in tube weighs 1 oz. Apart from having some fun with young children, I see no reason to do this.

Ah, my friend. UL is a mode of thought, a way of life.

Every gram counts. Grams become ounces and ounces become pounds if you apply the toothpaste dot approach to everything you carry.

The microcosm becomes the macrocosm. ;-)

Stargazer

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Dots on 08/05/2011 15:20:40 MDT Print View

You still have to carry the dots in something so the weight would be the same.

; )

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Dots on 08/05/2011 15:32:54 MDT Print View

Ah, but unlike regular toothpaste, dots have other purposes. I use some of mine as suppositories. Helps me feel fresh on the trail, and the minty ones even quicken my gait.......

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Good one, Doug! on 08/05/2011 16:01:54 MDT Print View

And half a dot, slightly chewed, in each nostril will mask the stink after a week or so in the same clothes.

Ooooooommmmmm . . . .

Stargazer

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/05/2011 16:29:24 MDT Print View

I just squeeze some toothpaste (not dried) off into this thingy and it works fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/605887/polyethylene-container-025-fl-oz

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
"Make your own toothpaste dots" on 08/05/2011 16:36:47 MDT Print View

Mike Clelland in his discussion for TIP 54 concerning the toothpast dots states in the last sentence of the first paragraph ...."So this tip is more fun than true weight saver, and fun counts for a lot."

If you have not got your hands on a copy, give it a go......

Cheers

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Dots on 08/05/2011 17:14:44 MDT Print View

I also like the idea because you can take just what you need. For a weekend trip you can just take a couple dots instead of a whole tube.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste on 08/05/2011 17:22:26 MDT Print View

Yes - I have the book. Just commenting.

They could also be used as ear plugs. But the anal freshness is intriguing. Thanks Doug.

Ankar Sheng
(Whiskyjack) - MLife

Locale: The Canadian Shield
Re: Re: Dots on 08/05/2011 18:02:19 MDT Print View

I praise you sir, I laughed my not-as-fresh-as-it-could-be-if-I-had-dots ass off.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Going dotty on 08/05/2011 18:27:08 MDT Print View

Semi-seriously, a few of these in a snack-sized baggie has got to be lighter than the equivalent amount in a toothpaste tube with that heavy lid.

Besides, the dots are also a cheapskate's wad of gum, and that eliminates the need for carrying the flavorless wad out afterwards.

Leaving no trace,

Stargazer

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Baking Soda is better! on 08/05/2011 19:24:47 MDT Print View

Baking soda, pure powder, dentist-recommended, has many other uses, leaves no residue on the ground or foliage when you spit it out, saves all this trouble!

Edited by hikinggranny on 08/05/2011 19:26:26 MDT.