Forum Index » Gear Deals » Titanium Hook Tent Stakes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Titanium Hook Tent Stakes on 08/04/2011 14:48:57 MDT Print View

Hi Everyone,

My Ti-Hook tent stakes are back in stock and ready to ship. They are made from 1/8" 6Al-4V Titanium hex rod, they are 6.5" long and weigh 7 grams. This batch has blunt tips due to previous complaints about the tips being to sharp.. They are currently priced at $2.50

LawsonEquipment.com

Hex Tent Stakes

Edited by Mountainfitter on 06/05/2014 16:08:35 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Titanium Hook Tent Stakes - Testimonial on 08/04/2011 15:39:51 MDT Print View

These stakes are great - I used them for the first time in June on the Mid-State Trail here in PA. No soil - just rocks covered by a loose 1" layer of forest duff. They're great and don't bend when you push them in.

It's also really nice that you can buy just the quantity that you want...

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Titanium Hook Tent Stakes - Testimonial on 08/04/2011 15:59:12 MDT Print View

Love mine, too! Painted the top of the hooks with the brightest hot pink nail polish I had -- haven't lost one yet. :)

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

2.50 on 08/10/2011 23:33:22 MDT Print View

Edited by Mountainfitter on 06/05/2014 16:09:05 MDT.

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: Raising the Price on 08/11/2011 12:31:31 MDT Print View

Lawson,
Your trick worked on me and I just placed my first order - although I'd been meaning to for a while, as you carry some nice gear (guywire, glowire, droppers). It would be awesome if you also carried guyline adjusters (Line-loks, Linelocs) for use with your guyline - any chance we see them in your store in the near future?

Cheers,

Joe

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Titanium Hook Tent Stakes on 08/23/2011 01:55:08 MDT Print View

Just ordered 8 stakes before they went up in price. Thanks, Lawson!

M

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
Duh on 08/23/2011 07:32:48 MDT Print View

Lol don't remind him to bump the price! =-X yeah got 8 yesterday, his trick worked.

Dan Cherry
(risingsun) - F

Locale: Northern Arizona
Linelocs on 08/23/2011 08:29:43 MDT Print View

Lawson,

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and agree with what Joseph said above... I ended up buying some Lineloc 3's from Zpacks to go with my glowire, but would definitely have bought some from you if you'd carried them when I ordered the stakes and glowire a few months back, just to consolidate orders. You have probably already considered carrying them, but I just wanted to validate it.

Tayler Shaeffer
(Tshaeffer) - F

Locale: The Great N.W.
Ti stakes on 08/23/2011 08:30:32 MDT Print View

Just beat the deadline as well :) thanks for the great gear!

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
me too on 08/23/2011 09:47:57 MDT Print View

Picked up 8 this am. Can always use more

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: Titanium Hook Tent Stakes on 08/23/2011 18:53:11 MDT Print View

just wondering what happened to the ti eyes you were selling, i thought they were the latest & greatest thing out, now back to the normal old hooks

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Product Update on 09/22/2011 14:18:34 MDT Print View

Hey Everyone,

After receiving a few complaints over the last couple months about my stakes being too sharp I decided to make stakes with blunt tips. Due to the small rod diameter (.125") there seems to be no difference in penetrating power. I personally think they work just as good as before, but now there is no need to worry about the stakes piercing through any of your soft gear. I made the change a week or so back so some of you might already have these new stakes and don't even know it or you might have them and either love the change or you might absolutely hate it. Either way, If you have the new stakes please feel free to comment and give feedback about the design change.

Thanks,
Lawson

Edited by Mountainfitter on 09/22/2011 14:20:37 MDT.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
too sharp? on 09/22/2011 15:53:30 MDT Print View

I got 8 of these from you some weeks back, thanks, so glad I didn't have to try to force/bend break those fat easton alu tube stakes they replaced. No idea what people are perceiving, if anything I would say the old ones were too dull, in fact I was thinking of sharpening them a bit, but they turned out to be fine in rocky soil so that's good. But since it's easy to sharpen, a file will do it easily, no biggie.

Are people storing these point down or something? Or did I get an early duller batch? Anyway thanks for your gear, worked fine.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Stakes on 09/22/2011 19:36:56 MDT Print View

I did notice these stakes being a bit sharper than average. I never had any problems with this, nor do I really think it makes much of a penetrating difference, so a bit duller might be the safer call.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Points on 11/02/2011 20:25:35 MDT Print View

I have sold quite a bit of these stakes since going to a blunt point and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on sharp vs. blunt..?

Thanks,
Lawson

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
sharpen them on 11/08/2011 11:31:49 MST Print View

I just ordered a few more from you, and my first action will be to sharpen them. Actually I'm going to sharpen the old ones too. That's just my feedback, file is easy to use, and for people who can't put stakes in a 2 gram stake sack out of harm's way, I guess having them be dull is a good idea, since it's easier to sharpen than dullen them.

Added: ok, sharpened the old ones. After looking at them, perfection to me would be about a 1/4" of taper, or a touch more, ending in a rounded flat 1/16th inch or so blunt end. Harder to grind down though for you. This would get through hard rocky soil the best I believe.

Edited by hhope on 11/08/2011 11:48:14 MST.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Thanks For Feedback on 11/17/2011 15:54:57 MST Print View

Thanks for the Feedback. It seems as if most people prefer the ends to be blunt so this gives me a better perspective of why you like them sharp. Any feedback on the hook design and how it has worked for you? When I designed the stakes, I built them so they would NOT turn around under tension which is the biggest problem with other Sheppard hook stakes. I had to bend the hook at a more radical angle to accomplish this and while I was at it, I made sure the apex of the bend was centered over the spine to give the stakes great driving power. No matter how good the design is, it can always be made better so I welcome any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Lawson

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Back Instock on 06/06/2012 10:26:54 MDT Print View

These are back instock with hex bar and blunt tips.

Thanks,
Lawson

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Thanks For Feedback on 06/06/2012 10:55:54 MDT Print View

" I had to bend the hook at a more radical angle to accomplish this and while I was at it, I made sure the apex of the bend was centered over the spine to give the stakes great driving power."

Good idea - I did that to my BPL Ti stakes.

They work much better - pound in better without bending, don't rotate as much under wind load

Only problem is one of them broke because of stress fracture.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Thanks For Feedback on 06/06/2012 16:48:28 MDT Print View

> Only problem is one of them broke because of stress fracture.

They will - if bent cold. Get them to a dull red and they bend beautifully. Heat will NOT affect the hardness once cold (unlike steel).

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 06/06/2012 21:05:48 MDT.