Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Children and rain
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Children and rain on 08/04/2011 08:13:58 MDT Print View

Or ... adults and rain.

I was leaving work Monday and it was pouring out. There were a bunch of people standing in the lobby, cautiously looking out the window, but not moving. As I passed by, without a jacket (it's pretty darn warm here, after all), one of the 'adults' said warningly, "You might want to wait a bit...."

Without stopping I turned with a smile and replied, "It's only water." Then I plunged out into the rain and walked to my car. I didn't even speed up my gait. No one followed me.

And as I got into my car I thought how, as kids, we all would have plunged out into that rain with wide-smiling faces and arms all akimbo, laughing and playing and having a grand old time. But somewhere in the passage of time getting wet became icky or something. Why is it that as we grow we lose so much of the joy of childhood? We don't have to forget.

Of course, we still seem to maintain the less enjoyable aspects of childhood as we age. As these forums so often prove, we can certainly squabble and get downright nasty about the most insignificant things, as if we were still on the playground. Yeah, we've not shed that part of childhood.

Me, I'll take the rain.

Edited by idester on 08/04/2011 08:14:48 MDT.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Children and rain on 08/04/2011 09:17:41 MDT Print View

I'm with you, Doug. I go for the rain with a smile. Admittedly, I'm still prone to running and jumping through puddles, whether it be with my feet or with my Jeep.

Well said.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: "Children and rain" on 08/04/2011 09:27:15 MDT Print View

Rain? did someone say rain? Oh what I'd do for a little of that wet stuff right now! It's rained at my house twice in the last 60 days...both times I was out in it!! Well, I did slip back up on the porch when the lightning got a little close :) Maybe it's because I work with kids that I'm still a kid at heart :)on maybe it's that I just love storms!
Oh and +1 on that other stuff :)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
rain on 08/12/2011 22:43:53 MDT Print View

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent." ~Dave Barry

I remember our first wilderness camping trip with our son. He came running up to us at camp... his waterproof breathable gear glistening with raindrops and said "Mommy, Daddy, I LOVE being cold and wet!" It put it all in perspective for me. You see, my darling husband has a 35 year record of rainy camping, backpacking and paddling trips. Same with day hikes and other adventures. If I didn't embrace the beauty of the rain and feeling the cool drops on my cheeks... well, I'd be a shut-in. People worrying about getting wet is just funny to me.

On the subject of rain, we leave in less than a week for the wilderness. Bryan went to MEC and bought baby-girl a Newt Rain Suit. Brilliant. At least baby-girl will be dry as the long-term forecast is calling for............ rain! lol