Above Treelines Hiking in Michigan
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Above Treelines Hiking in Michigan on 08/03/2011 06:31:15 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

Is there an on or off trail areas to hike above the Tree line in Michigan or in adjoining states.

Thanks,

Stephen

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Tree Line on 08/03/2011 08:16:03 MDT Print View

No. I'd guess tree line in Michigan is around 4000' and the high point is under 2000'.
Nearest above tree line? Probably the Adirondacks or someplace in the Dakotas. Colorado is further. Are the Smokies climatically above tree line? If you go far enough north you're above tree line, but I think that's further.

I imagine there are great places to hike in the upper peninsula.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks Walter on 08/03/2011 08:19:03 MDT Print View

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the info, so from Michigan it would be a very long drive or 2-3 hour flight.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 08/03/2011 08:20:41 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Thanks Walter on 08/03/2011 09:22:51 MDT Print View

There is an above treeline in Michigan???????????????

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Above Treelines Hiking in Michigan on 08/03/2011 15:56:08 MDT Print View

No. How about below tree line?

Matt Mioduszewski
(water-) - F

Locale: pacific nw
pictured rocks on 08/03/2011 16:25:52 MDT Print View

doesn't have trees to your north.

or go to sand dunes, then, you can be above treeline (sleeping bear or nordhouse dunes).

from michigan originally, you have my condolences.. i might go crazy if I had to move back.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks on 08/04/2011 02:27:12 MDT Print View

Thanks folks,

Matt Mioduszewski
(water-) - F

to clarify on 08/04/2011 03:22:29 MDT Print View

michigan doesn't have above treeline. But along pictured rocks trail you'd be able to look North into Lake Superior for views.. And same goes with the sand dunes - quite lovely places really - but it gets you out of the trees without being in a farmer's field.

alternative to Picture Rocks is going up to the Bruce Peninsula in Lake Huron. Great trail there and fun time - its canada, eh! Much closer to the metro detroit region.

Keep in mind 'long drive' is relative.. from detroit to munising (picture rocks area) you're talking 7hrs. If you put a cap at 10hr drive you can get a wide swath from southern viginia AT to Adirondacks, and a tad further hits you to vermont.

Additionally while no BWCA/Quetico, Algonquin is North of Toronto--7hr drive maybe?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks Matt on 08/04/2011 03:40:29 MDT Print View

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info, all my travel woudl be from the Bay city area.

I was in Algonguin National Park a few weeks ago and it was nice but got driven daft with all the insects.

At present I spend most of my time hiking in the UK so I have gotten used to hiking away from forests.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Car sharing on 08/04/2011 12:53:58 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

Any folk car share with Bpl'rs to get to the outdoors.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 08/04/2011 12:55:48 MDT.

Matt Mioduszewski
(water-) - F

bay city on 08/04/2011 13:07:28 MDT Print View

okay.. so you are a straight shot 2.5hrs across the state to Nordhouse Wilderness area on Lake Michigan (just north of Ludington, south of Manistee) - one of the smaller wilderness areas in the country BUT, I HIGHLY recommend it on one of those wonderful autumn weekends in Michigan. The air is cool and crisp, but warm in the sun, the leaves are brilliant, the bugs gone, things quiet as all kids are into school and such again.

shoot me a PM if you want more info on Nordhouse, really a gem. Additionally about 2 hours north of you at the intersection of 65 and 72 is Hoist Lakes Foot Travel Area (do a google search) that is quite nice, it is near Mio Michigan. Can get about 20-35 miles in there but it is in the forest. My now wife, and then girlfriend, found Hoist Lakes for us to go to, and it is a fun place to explore.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Thanks Matt on 08/04/2011 17:28:40 MDT Print View

Stephen,

Don't know how you found Bay City from the UK.

Hiking MI away from trees is a tall order.
Nordhouse -- you can walk the lake Michigan shore line for 5 or so miles one way.
You came to the wrong state at the wrong time if you don't like insects.

Tim

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks on 08/05/2011 01:07:15 MDT Print View

Hi Guys,

I might be relocating to the area in the New Year so I can chekcing out my options, I think Winter will be fine for me and I would spend the Summers back in Europe so its only the shoulder seasons I would hve to worry about.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Ne Coast on 08/05/2011 04:16:52 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

I have been having a look at the North East Coast and its about 15 hours drive, definiley doable for a weekeend trip.

Cheers,

Stephen