Radio Frequency Welding
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Radio Frequency Welding on 08/02/2011 17:29:44 MDT Print View

Okay, so this may not belong in this thread, but as it will be something I am going to be making, I thought I would give it a go.

I am wondering what would be the lightest material you can RF Weld?
More in general, is it possible to RF Weld 1.1 coated nylon?
I realize, just welding it to itself may not have the holding power and may require a separate glue strip or something in between???
Thru-Hiker has a new fabric that is supposed to be much better than anything out there and I am wondering if the RF Welding could possibly be used with it?

I am not to sure about this, it is just what I've seen on clothing garments that obviously have a strip in them. Although most of these garments are cured from heat, it brings me back to why I am asking this question in the first place.

I am looking for the end product to hold air and have some descent rigidity with it.

I know Nemo tents have inflatable tubes, but not sure how heavy the weight of the fabric is or if it is anything different than just a heavier treated nylon than 1.1.

Edited by awsorensen on 08/02/2011 17:31:18 MDT.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Seam Welding on 08/02/2011 19:36:23 MDT Print View

Silicone coated nylon can't be RF welded. Urethane coated nylon can sometimes be welded (depending on the properties of the urethane layer).

Nemo pneumatic tubes are composed of multiple layers of fabric and reinforcing fibers. The fabric component of the tubes is not meant to be airtight. The loose urethane bladder inside them holds the air, and the fabric just confines the bladder. Inflatable kites for kite surfing and most modern weather balloons work the same way.

Edited by ckrusor on 08/02/2011 19:39:16 MDT.