November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Locale: Southern California
MYOG MUG Pillow on 08/02/2011 17:09:12 MDT Print View

I start with those Lysol wet wipe tube containers, empty one.

Lysol wet wipe tube container

I peel the paper label, rinse, and air dry for a few weeks to get the chem smell out.

For the trek, I use it

1) to store pretzel, so they don't get crushed in my pack.

2) after the pretzel are eaten, I use it as a travel trash can LNT, for the empty jerky plastic wrap or the ankle band-aids and wax sticker paper. nothing terribly stinky like used TP. those I bury.

3) At night, I use my pack as a pillow with the Lysol tube on the top side, covered with something soft like a shirt or a ziplock containing bagels. The tube shape works -- for me -- as a semi-stiff neck pillow. it does bend a little, that's ok too.

4) When I get home after a trip, it goes in the recycle bin with all the plastic food wrappers.

a little tip to keep the food smell down. i use a zip lock bag inside the tube, to keep my trash air tight. some food wrappers like beef jerky come in a zip lock bag already.

so... if you are worried about bears and food in your tent - ignore this.

but still works great to keep the pretzels from getting crushed.