Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Locale: Newcastle, UK
Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/02/2011 13:56:34 MDT Print View

Me and my wife are planing on thru hiking the PCT next year. We are slowly amassing the kit we need. But one of the most important pieces of kit to get right were the packs. I looked at all the usual options, and some of them came very close to being right, but none of them were perfect. That's where the magical skills of Chris Zimmer come in. After a flurry of emails, exchanging ideas and options, I now finally have photos of our new packs;

I love how they came out! He's done a great job as usual, and I can't wait to try them out! Mine is the red/white/black one and my wife's is the green/white/black one. They are made from Black VX21 and White VX07. They feature mesh back pockets for tent/wet gear, with a second smaller mesh pocket on mine for the water filter. They both also have 'hidden' water bladder pockets either side of the pack (The full length of the white side panels) to take 3L water bladders. The top lid is adjustable so it can take a bear canister. I'm sure Chris will be along at some point to help answer any questions you may have about them. :)

Edited by MessiahKhan on 08/02/2011 14:00:04 MDT.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Beautiful on 08/02/2011 16:58:57 MDT Print View

...I think is a good word for those.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Beautiful on 08/02/2011 17:56:26 MDT Print View

"...I think is a good word for those."

+1. Gorgeous packs! Congrats!

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Re: Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/02/2011 18:22:23 MDT Print View

Wow! These are some killer packs. I love the white/black/red combination. Lots of questions but the first two are:
- What are the weights?
- Do you think the hooks that hold the lid on are going to be a pain to open?

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Pack weights on 08/02/2011 18:55:46 MDT Print View

The weight of the packs are 2lbs 5oz for the Red/Black/White pack and 2lbs 1oz for the Green/Black/White pack. These weights are as pictured with aluminum frame stays, hip belt pockets, sternum strap, bungee cord, etc...

The approx volumes for the packs are 3000ci for the red pack and 2700ci for the green pack.

The clips that hold the lid are not difficult to clip or unclip. I think they make for a great light weight attachment for a cover lid. You could also loosen the bungee with the lineloc to remove the lid if you did not want to use the clips.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/03/2011 08:53:02 MDT Print View

The colors on both of those are awesome. Well done once again!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Zimmerbuilt on 08/03/2011 09:34:45 MDT Print View

The Z man is killin it!

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/03/2011 10:02:11 MDT Print View

Alasdair very cool packs Christopher built for you and your wife. I really like the cool retro look of different color webbing and thread. Plus the design is very solid they should serve you well on the PCT.
Terry

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Re: Pack weights on 08/03/2011 13:25:31 MDT Print View

Chris,
That's about what I expected weight wise. Did you use the Gossamer Gear U stay?

Good to know on the clips. They look like a nice lightweight option. How do they clip onto the lid? I can't tell from the photos posted by Alasdair. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you put the linelocs on top and the clip on bottom on the front of the lid?

Alasdair,
Good luck on the PCT! You've got some awesome packs to see you through the journey.

Daniel Sandström
(sandstrom.dj)
Nice packs on 08/03/2011 23:30:10 MDT Print View

I really like the top lid attachments, especially the hook thing. I've been thinking about new ways of doing it lately and that was an interresting one. I figure the lid is also removable. Any inside pockets (lid)? Is there a drawchord closing mechanism underneath?
Damn, I need more gear fabrics... :D

Always great to see your new packs!

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/06/2011 14:47:28 MDT Print View

@Christopher Wilke; Yeah, the frame is a Gossamer Gear frame. I wanted a frame as although I will be going fairly light, the weight will top 15Kg with a full load of food and water, so wanted the frame for maximum comfort.

I'll let Chris answer your question about the clips, as I'm not 100% sure about them myself.

@Daniel Sandström; There are no pockets in the lid, it's simply there for weather protection and to help hold the bear canister down when required. There are however pockets inside the pack (Or technically at the side of the pack) for the water bladders.

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/07/2011 06:23:32 MDT Print View

Awesome looking packs :).I'm also planning to do the PCT next year. Are you attending the kick off?

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Simmerbuilt Packs... on 08/07/2011 11:09:49 MDT Print View

Stunning packs.

I would be sketched out by the clips. Hopefully I will see you out on the PCT, when are you starting?

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/07/2011 11:20:25 MDT Print View

Yeah, we are planning on attending the kick off party. The plan is to fly out to the US on the 20th April, spending a week or so getting over jetlag and finalizing stuff, then start walking on Friday 27th April, to be at Lake Morena for the weekend. The thing I need to sort next is what I am most nervous about; US visas. Fingers crossed the visa officers likes hiking!

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/07/2011 15:41:48 MDT Print View

Great, then I'll see you there. I'll probably recognize the packs :)

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Zimmerbuilt packs for my PCT thru hike! on 08/08/2011 02:58:24 MDT Print View

Cool. Off Topic, but where about in Norway are you from? I lived in Norway for over 10 years, in Langesund. I was only a kid at the time, and it was a while ago so feels like a past life. But we are actually going back there for a holiday at the end of this week. Really looking forward to it, and also spending a week up on the Hardangervidda. :)

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
awesome pack! on 08/11/2011 23:55:19 MDT Print View

Great pack! I love the white! Those are really slick looking packs. Chris made a GG Gorilla clone for me in all black. It's been a great pack and I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I've loved mine.