Yosemite - 4 Days Solo - Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes to Vogelsang to Merced Lake
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Yosemite - 4 Days Solo - Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes to Vogelsang to Merced Lake on 07/31/2011 03:03:00 MDT Print View

I recently did a 4 day solo 60 mile loop hike in Yosemite. Many thanks to everybody who has posted their experience on BPL. The information here made it all possible.

Yosemite 2011 - 4 Day Solo Ultralight Trip

Edited by bluewater on 07/31/2011 14:05:17 MDT.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area
Re: Yosemite - 4 Days Solo - Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes to Vogelsang to Merced Lake on 07/31/2011 08:08:19 MDT Print View

Great trip report. It looks like you had a great hike. Good luck on the JMT in August!

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
very nice on 07/31/2011 09:56:42 MDT Print View

I liked your trip report. When are you starting the JMT?

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Re: Yosemite - 4 Days Solo - Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes to Vogelsang to Merced Lake on 07/31/2011 13:10:47 MDT Print View

Thanx for the kind words Trevor and Erik! Much appreciated. I'm going from TM to Reds on August 29th - Sept. 1st with a small group then finishing from Reds to Whitney starting Sept. 12th.

Erik, are you still driving to Whitney August 4th? We are heading up to the western Sierra on August 3rd. FYI, I met two groups who were finishing the JMT nobo and they said all of the passes and creeks are easily passable. One guy had micro spikes but said he never used them.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Thanks! on 07/31/2011 13:18:49 MDT Print View

Andrew,

That's the kind of news that I like to hear! I'm still driving up to Mt. Whitney on the fourth, leaving out of Cottonwood. I'll make sure to post some sort of a trip report (even though I've never written one before) once I get back so you'll have some info.

Thanks again!

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Cool. on 07/31/2011 14:55:49 MDT Print View

Have a great trip Erik, looking forward to seeing some pxts when you get back. The JMT awaits!

Andy.

First Last
(snusmumriken) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Great! on 07/31/2011 20:51:23 MDT Print View

Thanks for taking the time to do the trip report. Fabulous pictures too.

I'm heading up towards Vogelsang, Bernice, the lakes above and further beyond next week. Trying to anticipate conditions and snow levels so looked at your pictures with great interest. Can you tell us the dates of your trip?

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

7/20 - 7/24 on 07/31/2011 21:59:03 MDT Print View

Thanx Kristin! I was there from 7/20 - 7/24. Gallison, Bernice and Merced were all at very high levels with the creeks and waterfalls going strong. The high country above Bernice and Gallison looked beautiful. Have a great trip.

First Last
(snusmumriken) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Thanks for the quick reply on 07/31/2011 22:41:53 MDT Print View

That gives me two weeks of additional melt until I get there this coming weekend. Should be beautiful!

Josh Earl
(joshearl)

Locale: Northern California
4 Day Solo on 08/01/2011 18:17:16 MDT Print View

Looks like you had a great time on your adventure. I think I'm going to need to follow some of your advice, as well as the forum's, and get my BMI down. Awesome write up!

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Right on. on 08/02/2011 02:03:13 MDT Print View

Thanx Josh! I think we may have just missed each other around Tuolumne Meadows. It looks like you guys had a blast. That snow covered trail on the way to Ireland Lake looked beautiful. Can't wait to get back out there in August.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Wow! on 08/07/2011 10:08:41 MDT Print View

Andrew,

I really enjoyed your trip report. Thank you for sharing! Hope to read more from you :)

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

JMT on 08/08/2011 14:52:20 MDT Print View

Thanks Pilate! We will be doing the next section at the end of August, can't wait to get back out there. ~ Andy.