Hello again everyone, nice of you to drop by.
This will be my second post over here, first one being a a flat solo cuben fiber tarp, as well as a lot of reading, adoring stunning MYOG projects and trying to listen to your experience.
But. As you will see in the pictures, the weather outside is crazy. So I’d better get to it. I didn’t take as many photos during the progress this time, but I managed to round up a few.
Here it goes. As usual I started off planning, sketching, calculating and drawing. When I was happy with the result, I printed out a 1:1 paper model.
Not completely happy, I proceeded fine tuning it, then copying it to the actual fabric.
Unfortunately I miss the sexy pictures of me sewing. Too sexy. But here’s the mid-term result.
No, I can’t lie any longer, I’m a bad person. I did take the pause I was talking about in the beginning. The weather down below my balcony was too nice to waste. I'm posting this "the next day".
So, onto yesterdays photo shoot. I didn’t have the guts to make the shoulder straps and hip-belt, but I had a rescue plan. I borrowed the shoulder straps from my Haglöfs Endurance hydration pack and the hip-belt from my Haglöfs Rand 28+8 pack, they are both removable. In hindsight, it’s rather clever, multi use and thus, sustainable. For the compression system, I opted for 3mm dyneema core chords and linelocks. Side compression designed in a zig-zag pattern. I didn't do the Y top compression as the original plan, with a buckle. Instead, I just looped it in a V. The webbing is long enough so it doesn't restrict packing, then it's tightened through a ladderlock.
Aand, finally the posing part. First off packed kind of as small as it gets, then regular hike-size.
I’d like to note that packing it smaller than the first picture distorts the shape. I tried it last weekend during a town festival. Although I got - something in the shape of - complements from everyone on my new hobby, they where somewhat ironic due to the look of the thing. I Did however argue for a better fit when packed with more stuff and did win them over – I think. I do think I could still use a one size bigger drybag if needed, didn’t have one at home though. Drybags used are a Tatonka M and L, not knowing exact size, I’d recon 25 and 50 litres.
It was harder to make a pack than the a tarp, but I learned a lot during the process. I know I’d design some things differently in the future so, onto the next project. Packs, pyramid shelter, bicycle bag…
Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone on these forums, especially Chrisopher Zimmer, who inspired me – to the point that the pack looks perhaps too much like his.
And no, although I look sad in the last picture, with the project is finished and all, I didn’t jump.
If you got this far, thank you. I would be glad if you left a sentence or two.
edit. typos, links