November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trekking in European Mountains
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam McIntyre
(adammcintyre) - F
Trekking in European Mountains on 07/28/2011 13:44:55 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

just wondering what your opinions and tips are over trekking through European mountain ranges?

I'm a big fan of Nicholas Crane and would love to somewhat follow in his footsteps, as ridiculous as that sounds (it's my dream)

I regularly spend long weekends in British peaks, trekking, relaxing, camping etc.

What would your most important tips be for long term trekking & trekking Europe?

I am interested to know what the dangers of animals may be, i.e bears?

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Trekking in European Mountains on 07/28/2011 15:51:16 MDT Print View

No animal dangers. Compared with Britain heat and altitude are likely to be the biggest challenges in the Alps and Pyrenees. Trails are usually well-made and well-signposted and there are plenty of refuges if you don't camp. Stove fuel has different names in different countries and standard Lindahl valve canisters are rare. If using a canister stove one that takes Campingaz CV canisters is the best choice - like the MSR Superfly.