Ultralight sleeping bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Sierra Designs Wicked Fast on 07/23/2005 13:26:17 MDT Print View

The Sierra Designs Wicked Fast appears to be a top or top-like bag (no insulation or moveable insulation from underneath), and lacks a hood for the weight and price.

The Rab Top bag will have to be ordered from a store in Europe since there are no Rab sleeping bag distributors in the US.

Again, look at Feathered Friends Vireo (FF) a zipperless extended half bag:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=78&CatId=1&ProductName=Vireo

The Vireo has an average weight of 17 oz with 8.8 oz of down (in the 62" lenghth it is 16 oz with 8.1 oz of down). It is available in Pertex Quantum for $210 without a discount. It is available in 3 lengths, for a 15% discount (for both the Vireo and jacket) if purchased with a FF jacket. The Volant hood is an attachable/removable option. The sleeping bag is available in 750+ down, upgrade to 800+ down for $8.00, and is available with overfill of 800 + down at $8.00 per ounce. The bag is designed to accept a light high loft vest or jacket inside or a heavier jacket outside.

The baffles of the Vireo sleeping bag are continuous and allow you to move the down from below to top and vice versa. Down loft for the stripped bag varies from 3" at the top to 5" at the bottom. My Vireo with 800+ down upgrade with 2 oz of overfill (total about 10.1 oz 800+ down) has loft varying from 4" at the top to 7" in the footbox.

The Vireo is only rated at 45 degree F in the stripped form due to the distribtion of the down (3" at the top). As mentioned it is designed to be used with a jacket or a vest which will bring the lower temperature range down significantly.

Also, check the discussion threads for the Vireo that I sent to you yesterday.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 07/23/2005 13:57:14 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Sierra Designs Wicked Fast on 07/23/2005 14:11:04 MDT Print View

Thanks Richard... I did read all the posts in the threads you pointed me too. Thanks very much for that.

However, I'm afraid I don't really understand your reasoning in the comparison above. The Vireo is a great deal, for sure, but it's actually about the same weight as the Wicked Fast (+/- 1 oz. depending on length). Also, the Wicked Fast is apparently warmer (rated at 30F), has a half-zip and a footbox vent, has a smidgen more fill weight, and is a fair bit roomier below the shoulders (62"/59"/42").

As for a hood, I don't really like hoods. So that's no loss.

As for price, although the Wicked Fast is more expensive than the Vireo... it's cheaper than most other bags in the same class.

I don't mean to argue... I'm just saying that it does SEEM like an impressive bag from the specs.

Edited by davidlewis on 07/23/2005 15:44:47 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Re: Sierra Designs Wicked Fast on 07/23/2005 14:16:28 MDT Print View

Just to clarify Richard... I do think the Vireo layering idea is pretty interesting... and I do appreciate your comments and info. And I know that temp. ratings are kind of hard to go by with any bag. But that Sierra bag does LOOK like an interesting option.

Edited by davidlewis on 07/23/2005 14:17:13 MDT.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Sierra Designs Wicked Fast and FF Vireo on 07/23/2005 15:54:38 MDT Print View

David,

The comments that Brian made are due to the narrowing of the bag from the waist down but as Brian points out in the following: "One issue I have with the bag is the very slim fit around my hips. The foot box is plenty roomy, as is the top of the bag, but I definitely feel the bag around my hips and am a little afraid I am compressing some of the down in that area. But, I didn't feel any cold spots and it may just be me adjusting to the slimmer fit from my '92 EMS or mil-issue bags. BTW, I'm not a small person at 6'2 200# w/ large legs/quads".

Brian was adjusting to the different cut of the Vireo.

You can read about 7 lightweight bags including the Nunatak Arc Ghost, Western Mountaineering Highlite, Sierra Designs Wicked Light, Montbell #7, Marmot Pounder, Mountain Hardware Phantom 45D, and the FF Vireo in the Rock and Ice Article:

http://www.rockandice.com/gear/141%20Field%20Tested.pdf

You can also read a short blurb in Backpacker Magazine about the Feathered Friends Vireo at:

http://search.rodale.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebackpacker%2Ecom%2Farticle%2F1%2C2646%2C6486%2C00%2Ehtml%3F&DocOffset=3&DocsFound=4&QueryZip=vireo&Collection=backpacker&ViewTemplate=docview%2Ehts&SearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Erodale%2Ecom%2Fsearch97cgi%2Fs97%5Fcgi%3Faction%3DSearch%26QueryZip%3Dvireo%26ResultTemplate%3DBPResults%252Ehts%26QueryText%3Dvireo%26Collection%3Dbackpacker%26ViewTemplate%3Ddocview%252Ehts%26ResultStart%3D1%26ResultCount%3D10&

You can read about the Nunatak Akula, comparisons with and comments about the FF Vireo in Backpacker Magazine at:

http://search.rodale.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebackpacker%2Ecom%2Farticle%2F1%2C2646%2C6470%2C00%2Ehtml%3F&DocOffset=2&DocsFound=4&QueryZip=vireo&Collection=backpacker&ViewTemplate=docview%2Ehts&SearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Erodale%2Ecom%2Fsearch97cgi%2Fs97%5Fcgi%3Faction%3DSearch%26QueryZip%3Dvireo%26ResultTemplate%3DBPResults%252Ehts%26QueryText%3Dvireo%26Collection%3Dbackpacker%26ViewTemplate%3Ddocview%252Ehts%26ResultStart%3D1%26ResultCount%3D10&

Edited by naturephoto1 on 07/23/2005 16:08:50 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Sierra Designs Wicked Fast and FF Vireo on 07/23/2005 15:58:41 MDT Print View

Thanks for the links Richard :) Esp. the PDF!

Edited by davidlewis on 07/23/2005 16:42:36 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Opps on 07/23/2005 16:39:54 MDT Print View

Ok... I've been doing more research and I just clued in that the SD Wicked Fast is a top bag. Opps. I knew those numbers just didn't add up. There is absolutely no indication of this on their website though. As a top bag, 18 oz. sounds right. I was thinking it was a regular bag. I don't think a top bag / quilt would work with my sleeping style... I change positions (front to back) a lot. For sure I would end up in the middle of the night sleeping on my stomach with the down half under me and my back half frozen :P

p.s. Richard... check out tinyurl.com. I use it a lot for long URL's. Some people don't like to click on them tho' 'cause they're not sure where they will go.

Edited by davidlewis on 07/23/2005 16:41:04 MDT.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

tinyurl.com on 07/23/2005 17:09:20 MDT Print View

David,

Thanks for the heads up on the urls. They posted something on the site for html on this site for having a direct link to something, but I must be doing something wrong.

The tinyurl should at least make some of those outlandish listings more livable.

Rich

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
top bags vs. quilts on 07/23/2005 21:51:08 MDT Print View

i'm wondering what the advantage of a top bag, with a sewn-in floor, is over an arc-style quilt? the quilt certainly seems more versatile, but i guess you might roll out from under it?

assuming that quilts are generally superior, what do folks think about cutting the floor out of a top bag and making it into a quilt? in particular, i'm thinking about the SD Wicked Fast.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Sierra Designs Wicked Fast on 07/23/2005 22:19:48 MDT Print View

Richard, the RAB QTop bag can be bought in the USA from

http://www.mandatorygear.com/SleepRabbags2.html

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

RAB QTop bag on 07/23/2005 23:23:09 MDT Print View

I stand corrected. Unless mistaken Mandatory Gear must be importing the Rab Q Top bags themselves. Having had numerous e-mails (and trying to obtain Rab gear) with the parent company, Equipuk, they are still considering launching the Rab line of products in the US. Equipuk is presently selling their other brand of products in the US already.

Rich

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Sierra Designs Wicked Fast on 07/23/2005 23:28:53 MDT Print View

Nathan,

You can read about 7 lightweight bags including the Nunatak Arc Ghost, Western Mountaineering Highlite, Sierra Designs Wicked Light, Montbell #7, Marmot Pounder, Mountain Hardware Phantom 45D, and the FF Vireo in the Rock and Ice Article:

http://tinyurl.com/bwsh4

Rich

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: top bags vs. quilts on 07/24/2005 03:25:19 MDT Print View

Re: "cutting the floor out of a top bag and making it into a quilt"

don't own the bag in question (or any top-bag for that matter).

no opinion. just questions. Is it wide enough (after having the bottom cut off) to do that? I mean would it be wide enough to "stuff under"/seal to keep out drafts? Aren't quilts pretty wide (at least 12" wider than the top-bag would be after cutting off the bottom? Just a thought.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
cutting the bottom out of a top bag on 07/24/2005 20:45:11 MDT Print View

looking at the SD wicked light, size long, the widths are 64" at shoulder, 61" at waist, and 43" at the foot.
arc alpinist has "usable width" of 55", 45", and 38"; the ghost is smaller.
Of course, I'm not sure this is worthwhile, but it's certainly easier to find an SD bag on sale than a nunatak one.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: cutting the bottom out of a top bag on 07/25/2005 07:48:50 MDT Print View

looking at the SD wicked light, size long, the widths are 64" at shoulder, 61" at waist, and 43" at the foot.
arc alpinist has "usable width" of 55", 45", and 38"; the ghost is smaller.

Nathan,
I wouldn't recommend cutting the bottom out of a top bag. The dimensions above for the top bag include the bottom that would be removed, so removing the bottom would split the above figures practically in half.

The quilts that nunatak makes have straps to fasten under you or a pad to keep it in place. With the straps tightened all the way (I run mine underneath me instead of underneath a pad) the quilt wraps almost all the way around me with only a small area exposed underneath me. At that point it's basically a mummy bag with a 55 inch girth.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Girths, not widths on 07/25/2005 09:01:53 MDT Print View

i believe those dimensions are "girths", not "widths".

check out the following link for some fairly inexpensive, lt. wt. synth. quilts:

FanaticFringe Quilts

have never seen or used one, so i don't know about quality. can anyone out there give any guidance on this company & their products (particularly the quitls)?

Edited by pj on 07/25/2005 09:44:19 MDT.

Hector Agdeppa
(flipside72) - F
Re: I also like my #3 down hugger on 08/25/2005 18:04:54 MDT Print View

I've got Montbell's #3 super stretch down hugger and it's light (1lb 7oz I think), packs down REALLY small,
and the "airlite" shell they use has a dwr coating. The best feature of this bag is the stretch feature - the only other bag I considered buying was one of the WMs, but it could not compare to the weight and size of the Montbell.
I have pretty broad shoulders and most mummy-style bags make me feel just that - a mummy. THe Montbell however stretches so much that I can sit up, toss around, even change clothes with the bag completely zipped up.
The only downside to this bag is that the shell doesn't breath AT ALL - unless I'm using it at or close to its max rating, I will sweat by morning.

Edited by flipside72 on 08/25/2005 18:05:57 MDT.