Wilderness Classic post-game
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Wilderness Classic post-game on 07/25/2011 16:31:35 MDT Print View

For a variety of reasons I changed a few things for the race. Actual gear carried list and discussion is in the profile.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Wilderness Classic post-game on 07/25/2011 17:11:10 MDT Print View

Dave,
Congratulations!

All I can do is shake my head and be amazed at what it takes to step up to the Classic.

You, and all the others, are an inspiration.

Thanks.

Edited by greg23 on 07/26/2011 10:34:10 MDT.

Russ Porter
(Russp17)

Locale: Anchorage
Not quite ready on 07/25/2011 22:58:48 MDT Print View

Good Job Dave!! It's my goal to complete the classic in the next few years, next year I'm doing the hot springs classic (chena to circle). Congrats again! Do you mind if I ask you some questions regarding gear and such.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: classic on 07/26/2011 09:08:34 MDT Print View

Ask away Russ.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
AK Classic on 07/26/2011 14:49:13 MDT Print View

What is the state of sat phones nowadays, pretty reliable?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

sat phones on 07/26/2011 14:54:22 MDT Print View

I used mine to get a weather report when we were pinned down, and it worked fine when we walked out from under tree cover. Other folks in the race have used them a bunch more than I, and none had any complaints.

Expensive, but reliable.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Congrats Dave on 07/26/2011 15:22:38 MDT Print View

Great job, my neighbor finished 3rd. Sounds like a great time

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Chenault is a Bad A on 07/26/2011 15:43:26 MDT Print View

Amazing trek Dave, congrats on the strong finish! Your experience in the Classic really seems like it culminated everything you do quite nicely, could there be a better outlet for you? I can't think of one. I enjoyed the video over at the 'Rock and 'Dox' as well.... but I must say I looked away for a second in the opening shot, too much stoke in those eyes for me to handle.

Russ Porter
(Russp17)

Locale: Anchorage
Sat phones on 07/28/2011 00:08:33 MDT Print View

Sat Phones have worked well for me on trips. I rent one when doing a real remote trip in AK. The only time I've had trouble is in deep canyons.

Dave, I'm working on my list and I saw that you didn't bring any puffy jackets or warmer pants? Will you bring these next year? Will you bring rain pants next time?
any other advice??

Thanks again and good job!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

insulation on 07/28/2011 08:51:51 MDT Print View

Russ, the fleece I brought is as warm a fleece as has been yet made. That said, I do plan of bringing more torso insulation next year, as well as rain pants. I'm going to replace the fleece with a Thermawrap parka soon (same warmth, less weight and bulk), and would add a light fleece vest to my race kit as well.

Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Thermawrap on 07/29/2011 18:11:07 MDT Print View

Dave,

I'm betting you will like the Thermawrap. I've been using one as my insulation layer since they came out.