Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rent a Bearikade????
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Rent a Bearikade???? on 07/25/2011 07:36:48 MDT Print View

Anyone out there looking to rent out there Bearikade? Hitting the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks August 7-12 and I'm looking for a lightweight Bear Canister that is approved for the area.

Thanks

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Wild Ideas direct rentals on 07/25/2011 10:29:25 MDT Print View

Hi Mark,
You can actually rent a Bearikade directly from the manufacturer, here is the link:

https://www.wild-ideas.net/rent.html

Thanks,

Joe

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Wild Ideas direct rentals on 07/25/2011 10:36:36 MDT Print View

BTW - you only pay for trail days. (Honor system)

I had mine mailed a week early to my home so I could practice packing, and have it for my 3 days of travel time. Just add that to the Notes section. Or call first to get the skinny.

Positive experience all the way.

Melissa Spencer
(melissaspencer) - F

Locale: PNW
Selling a Bear Vault on 07/25/2011 11:32:49 MDT Print View

I'm selling a BV 500 is you want to buy it $30+shipping.

Melissa

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Selling a Bear Vault on 07/25/2011 15:41:15 MDT Print View

Melissa I've been looking for a bv500. I'll take it if you can ship right away.

Chris

Shane Duff
(falco) - F

Locale: South Eastern Sierras
BV 500 on 07/25/2011 16:59:26 MDT Print View

If Chris backs out I'm interested in the Bearvault.

Christopher Holly
(climber72) - F

Locale: At my desk
Bearikade rentals on 07/25/2011 19:08:31 MDT Print View

So,

I just got in the mail today, 2 days before I put in on a SoBo JMT trip, the Bearikade Weekender. As promised it reached me a day or two before my trip, and I could not be happier with either the service provided to me by Allen over at Wild Ideas or the product itself.

Top notch all the way!

And yes, the rental agreement for thru-hikes is really quite reasonable... but I am 90% sure Wild Ideas will be getting my money for a canister of my own once I return, a fact I am sure they are aware of!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Bearikade rentals on 07/25/2011 19:11:16 MDT Print View

Christopher,
Stash a couple of quarters somewhere as "last resort" canister openers.
I actually taped mine to the lid so I wouldn't have to hunt around at dinner time.

Have Fun!

Edited by greg23 on 07/25/2011 22:06:57 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Bearikade rentals on 07/25/2011 19:48:50 MDT Print View

"I actually taped mine to the lid "

I saw a guy who taped his canister opener to the _inside_ of the lid. That was unwise.

--B.G.--

Christopher Holly
(climber72) - F

Locale: At my desk
Opening the Bearikade on 07/25/2011 19:58:31 MDT Print View

Yes,

I thought about this quite a bit this afternoon and then realized that my Groundhog stakes would work in a pinch, but the quarter idea is a great one!

If I cannot figure a way to get the thing open with cold hands in the dark, something much worse is wrong... a situation I hope to never encounter!

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Bear Vault in the Dacks on 07/26/2011 07:39:12 MDT Print View

Unfortunately you are somewhat not allowed to use a Bear Vault canister in the High Peaks region of the Dacks. A Yogi-esque bear (Yellow-Yellow) has figured out how to open the Bear Vaults. The screw locking mechanism found on Bearikades and Garcias are the only highly recommended bear canisters. No bear bagging either in that region.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Bear Vault in the Dacks on 07/26/2011 08:15:36 MDT Print View

Bear Vaults are allowed in the High Peaks, just not recommended. Only one bear has figured out how to open them, Yellow-Yellow. The DEC has, reasonably, decided not to change regulations for a single bear in North America. Marcy dam, and Colden lake is her primary circuit...at least the last few years.

For any who would like to use the BV's, a simple wood screw, hot melted into the lid and case on the oposite side of the catch, will solve the problem. According to a reported instance, she presses the catch with her teeth, twisting with her head. The positive lock of the screw defeats this behavior. Hopefully, after a few times, she will no longer bother.

Anyway, the Berikade or Garcia are recommended. Both require an extra tool to open as does the BV after the modification.