Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » New idea for UL insulated "jacket"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Goodell
(geekguyandy) - F

Locale: New York State
New idea for UL insulated "jacket" on 12/05/2006 10:03:17 MST Print View

When you are hiking the pack helps keep your back warm, and when you are sleeping the pad leeps your back warm. Why not fashing a jacket that is just insulated in the front side? It could be extremely light, and be able to keep you warm while hiking or add a few more degrees to your sleeping bag. I just bought a Montbell Alpine Down Hugger 3 and am hoping to fashion this jacket from a GoLite Wisp and try this out.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: New idea for UL insulated "jacket" on 12/05/2006 17:50:11 MST Print View

I have an LL Bean shelled fleece jacket that is kind of like that-- fleece in the sleeves, back, and front, but none on the sides or shoulders. Sounds weird but it works-- it breathes well.

Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: New idea for UL insulated "jacket" on 12/05/2006 18:27:41 MST Print View

I have an older TNF Moxie 1/4 zip that is very similar: highly windproof stretch fabric arms and front panel, with an almost-mesh backpanel. The perfect midlayer for backpacking (albeit heavy compared to a windshirt).

I think the challenge, though, is the "interface" between packing and sleeping; it's when I'm doing camp setup, chores, lazing about, and eating that I get the coldest. However, in combo with any down piece that can be draped, like a quilt, it'd be an interesting item.

However I doubt that a bigger manufacturer would ever make a profit selling such a niche product, even for this community. Perfect for a new cottage-industry manufacturer, though..! :-)

Einstein X
(EinsteinX) - F

Locale: The Netherlands
Re: New idea for UL insulated "jacket" on 12/06/2006 03:49:29 MST Print View

>and when you are sleeping the pad keeps your back warm....
>.....or add a few more degrees to your sleeping bag

Uhm yeah, but you'd have to ly on your back the whole night. For hiking i think it's an excelent idea, it wouldn't work for me while sleeping cause i toss and turn to much.

Eins