Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Pyramid Tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/24/2011 13:10:03 MDT Print View

Wanted a new tent for my upcoming 2 week backpacking/brewery trip through Montana, and decided to sew my own.

Jerry's design in his article looked awesome, and I decided to follow it. This was only the second time I had done cat curves on anything, but they turned out nicely.

Also added a net skirt around the perimeter, which only added a couple ounces but helps out the bug situation tremendously.

Finally got to test it out this morning on a day hike, heres a couple pictures I took.
Thanks Jerry for the great article!

edit: forgot the most important part! Weighs 22oz in stuff sack, pole weighs 7.5oz for a total weight of 29.5oz. Fits 2 people easily, and 3 if one person is small and you are close friends

tent1

tent2

Edited by skyzo on 07/24/2011 13:11:50 MDT.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
... on 07/25/2011 12:14:33 MDT Print View

nice

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/25/2011 15:07:49 MDT Print View

Looks really good! Inspires me.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/25/2011 16:59:31 MDT Print View

Hey! that looks just like my tent : )

your seams look very well done - symetric and even - good job

I just got back from using mine a few days at the beach

I think that design works pretty good, especially for two people

Daniel Sandström
(sandstrom.dj)
Lovely on 07/28/2011 05:36:16 MDT Print View

Nice tent. How was it making it, can you elaborate some. My girlfriend thought I was ego when I built my tarp - and as allways she's got a point - so lately I've been playing with the thought of making a pyramid tent. They Do seem good.

Thank's for posting.

Edited by sandstrom.dj on 07/28/2011 05:37:06 MDT.

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Pyramid tent on 07/28/2011 07:52:21 MDT Print View

Hi Daniel,

Your tarp looks good, nice job on making it. This tent wasnt too bad. I do alot of sewing, so I am pretty fast these days, but I think total time on this was around 10-12 hours.
Most time consuming part was cutting all the pieces. If you were to make a pattern on a piece of plywood or something, that you could just trace to the silnylon, it would be a lot faster.
You should try it,
good luck