November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Pyramid Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/24/2011 13:10:03 MDT Print View

Wanted a new tent for my upcoming 2 week backpacking/brewery trip through Montana, and decided to sew my own.

Jerry's design in his article looked awesome, and I decided to follow it. This was only the second time I had done cat curves on anything, but they turned out nicely.

Also added a net skirt around the perimeter, which only added a couple ounces but helps out the bug situation tremendously.

Finally got to test it out this morning on a day hike, heres a couple pictures I took.
Thanks Jerry for the great article!

edit: forgot the most important part! Weighs 22oz in stuff sack, pole weighs 7.5oz for a total weight of 29.5oz. Fits 2 people easily, and 3 if one person is small and you are close friends

Edited by skyzo on 07/24/2011 13:11:50 MDT.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
... on 07/25/2011 12:14:33 MDT Print View

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/25/2011 15:07:49 MDT Print View

Looks really good! Inspires me.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG Pyramid Tent on 07/25/2011 16:59:31 MDT Print View

Hey! that looks just like my tent : )

your seams look very well done - symetric and even - good job

I just got back from using mine a few days at the beach

I think that design works pretty good, especially for two people

Daniel Sandström
Lovely on 07/28/2011 05:36:16 MDT Print View

Nice tent. How was it making it, can you elaborate some. My girlfriend thought I was ego when I built my tarp - and as allways she's got a point - so lately I've been playing with the thought of making a pyramid tent. They Do seem good.

Thank's for posting.

Edited by on 07/28/2011 05:37:06 MDT.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Pyramid tent on 07/28/2011 07:52:21 MDT Print View

Hi Daniel,

Your tarp looks good, nice job on making it. This tent wasnt too bad. I do alot of sewing, so I am pretty fast these days, but I think total time on this was around 10-12 hours.
Most time consuming part was cutting all the pieces. If you were to make a pattern on a piece of plywood or something, that you could just trace to the silnylon, it would be a lot faster.
You should try it,
good luck