Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article on 07/24/2011 09:31:53 MDT Print View

Speedster Jennifer Pharr Davis is on Day 37 of her supported Appalachian Trail speed record of 47 days, last set by Andrew Thompson in '05. Here is a piece in the NYT on her story:

Speed Hiker Thrives on Natural Rhythms of the Appalachian Trail

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article on 07/24/2011 20:28:56 MDT Print View

Been following her progress a little on another site. Looks like w/o an injury she will make it a few hours ahead of the current record holder.

Ryan

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article on 07/24/2011 20:40:33 MDT Print View

Sweet, thanks for the link Eugene, I'll be following this.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: "Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article" on 07/25/2011 01:09:46 MDT Print View

Crimminy, my knees ache just reading this article. If you have ever tried to backpack a long distance in a single day either out of necessity or (as some do here) for "fun", well, I think you could identify with the effort necessary to accomplish such a feat.

Honestly, could I do 48 miles in a day? I've done 35 in the Sierra, so I would think yes, there might be one day in me when I could do 48 given the right preparation and terrain (assuming 16 hours of walking). Could I do two back-to-back. Heck, no.

That's what makes these things so impressive. It's not the daily miles as much as it is the repetitious nature of those miles.

Thanks for posting this!

Dirk

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article" on 07/25/2011 01:53:53 MDT Print View

Absolutely Dirk,

Consecutive hard efforts like that must be unreal, the few individuals who get up and repeat marathon distance and beyond hiking over a stretch of weeks and months are dedicated and inspiring folk.

I really hope she clears the record, doing so will only inspire someone else to challenge it later on and push the envelope of body and mind.