Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Al Nichols
(everready) - F

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio
Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal? on 07/23/2011 14:53:18 MDT Print View

I was wondering if anyone has used this kind of oatmeal as a base to make trail bars. I figure you could add some nuts/raisins etc. put it all in a pan and bake it. Anyone ever try this?

Al

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal? on 07/23/2011 15:23:09 MDT Print View

Oatmeal is oatmeal.

--B.G.--

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal? on 07/23/2011 16:02:10 MDT Print View

http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Discos-Homemade-Energy-Bars.pdf

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/quick_healthy_meals_with_an_ultralight_cook_kit.html

James Arzigian
(Renais) - M
Quality oatmeal on 07/23/2011 18:25:25 MDT Print View

There are several high quality oatmeals that I enjoy. The differences between the run of the mill (think Quaker cylinder) and quality oatmeals are discernable even just by sight. When I have some good oatmeal at work, folks ask what I'm eating. The oatmeal has texture and body. I enjoy having oatmeal with texture and more mouth appeal rather than the mush of a cheap oatmeal. The aroma of even the plain good oatmeal is wonderful, and the flavor is distintly better. Certainly use a good oatmeal for bars, but also don't forget to make some oatmeal cookies as well. A really satisfying breakfast is pancakes made with oatmeal instead of flour; the meal sticks with you well, and is fun to eat.
Jim

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
quality on 07/23/2011 18:41:14 MDT Print View

care to name names :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Quality oatmeal on 07/23/2011 19:11:59 MDT Print View

Don't get confused by the basic nature of the oatmeal. In the north of England, you are likely to encounter steel-cut oats. In the U.S., you are likely to encounter rolled oats.

--B.G.--

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Good (instant) oatmeal on 07/24/2011 18:46:50 MDT Print View

Trader Joe's (tastes better and you get more per packet than Quaker)

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Re: Good (instant) oatmeal on 07/24/2011 21:24:48 MDT Print View

Sorry, good instant oatmeal is an oxymoron. I can wait a few minutes while my regular rolled oats (supplemented with freeze dried fruit plus a shot of flax seed meal, and maybe some Nido) FBCs. Gives me time to drink my coffee so I don't have to eat it out of the bag. No comparison to steel cut oats but a decent compromise for the trail.

Edited by WillWeb on 07/24/2011 21:26:36 MDT.

James Arzigian
(Renais) - M
Tasty oats on 07/29/2011 12:42:18 MDT Print View

One of my favorite brands is Flaherty. They make a variety of plain and flavored oat products. I especially enjoy the dry fruit in their products; it tastes better than most separately sold dry fruit. Reading the cooking directions is also fun as they instruct you about the hob. McCann's has a variety of rolled and steel-cut oat products that are quite tasty. They do sell some instant oatmeal, but I've not tried it. The non-instant types only take a few minutes to prepare. The aroma from the McCann's oats fills the kitchen nicely. Bob's Red Mill has a variety of oat products, both rolled and steel-cut. I like the flavor of Bob's products most of the time, but have been disappointed several times by a stale product. I don't think their packaging is as good as it could be. I like Honeyville farms products in general; if you want a good source of relatively low-priced product give them a try. They have periodic 10 or 20% off sales. They also have a lot of other foods for gourmet backpacking, in my opinion. I enjoy both rolled and steel-cut oat products; good quality food can be prepared from either.
Jim

Tim & Shell
(McCargoe) - F
Lavish Chocolate on 08/01/2011 14:07:28 MDT Print View

How does this stuff even taste in the first place? I just bought a box for our upcoming trip.