DIY Bushbuddy Style Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Dwyer
(KevinDee) - F
DIY Bushbuddy Style Stove on 07/22/2011 21:43:56 MDT Print View

Hey everyone. new to these forums. I started making a bushbuddy style wood burning stove today and was looking for some feedback. i started with a 1qt paint can and the way i am building this is so there will still be enough room inside the stove to contain my gsi minimalist pot. Since a small internal chamber (most use the soup can) would not allow my gsi pot to fit inside i decided to go with a custom sized all mesh fire basket inside. But then the thought hit me... do I even need this "fire basket"? could i just simply burn the wood right inside the paint can? At the most build a mesh platform to raise the fire up closer to the top? I have the holes drilled along the bottom already but the actual bottom of the can is still intact. I know I wont have the "gasification" feature if I build it this way, but I am just looking for a way to safely and easily contain a fire to cook over which I am assuming this will provide regardless the build style. Also the can I have has a gray lining that I am assuming is epoxy. Is this safe to burn? will it all burn off eventually? here are some pics. nothing special, just the wire fire basket i made (that i may or may not use. the bottom of the basket is the lid to the paint can), the can itself with the top lip cut off so my gsi will fit inside, and the holes along the bottom.basketbasket bottommg src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1311392550_46377.jpg" alt="top with widened opening" width="550" height="413">

and since i have made this with nothing more than a drill and a screwdriver (no legit metal working tools) I think I am dubbing this the 7 fingers stove. any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kevin Dwyer
(KevinDee) - F
pics on 07/22/2011 21:45:28 MDT Print View

top with wide openingholes

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: DIY Bushbuddy Style Stove on 07/22/2011 23:27:31 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

I used to make these all the time in various configurations. It's a lot of fun - very addicting.

A fire inside the can with or without the basket will work fine; creating a false bottom with the basket material will help with oxygen while still keeping the bottom of the can intact. You'll need some kind of stand to raise the pot from the top of the can or, you'll need to make more holes at the top of the can in order to feed the fire and prevent snuffing. You could use that basket material for a while - I understand that it will break down faster than hardware cloth from the heat. (Hardware cloth will probably be more durable and its square pattern makes it easier to measure and cut.)

Burn that thing well - the lining will eventually go.

I'm sure you've been to http://zenstoves.net/

Kevin Dwyer
(KevinDee) - F
stove on 07/23/2011 08:17:55 MDT Print View

thanks for the reply. Yeah i think i am going to take the bottom off and make a platform just above the holes. A pot stand is in the works.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: stove on 07/23/2011 09:02:42 MDT Print View

A simple platform can be easily made by cutting some of that basket material just bigger than the inner diameter of that can - push it carefully, and evenly, down toward the bottom until it's just above the bottom row of intake holes; it's easy and as temporary or permanent as you'd like and will still help contain the fire in the can.

Take a look at this Youtube video below (note his other videos, as they are quite informative). At about 2:40 he shows how he made his pot stand fit onto his paint can stove (using hardware cloth). It's a good, simple, effective idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQLoiGvY8A&feature=view_all&list=PLA20F98B6617B88D0&index=15

Edited by AaronMB on 07/23/2011 09:03:38 MDT.