Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Ben's packs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Bartlett
(bdbart) - F
Ben's packs on 07/22/2011 08:20:39 MDT Print View

Just wanted to share some of my recent projects. From largest to smallest

Large BackpackLarge BackpackLarge BackpackMedium BackpackMedium BackpackMedium BackpackSmall BackpackSmall BackpackSmall Backpack

Edited by bdbart on 07/22/2011 08:27:55 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Ben's packs on 07/24/2011 12:22:07 MDT Print View

Ben,
Nice work on the backpacks I have not seen much silnylon pack in awhile, I really like the clamshell pack design. How tall is the pack? It look like it could be a lumbar pack?
Terry

Benjamin Bartlett
(bdbart) - F
reply on 07/24/2011 16:56:24 MDT Print View

The first one is 24" tall. The material is 70D nylon..mostly, some of the pockets are 1.1 oz. silnylon. I chose this material for its lightweight and cheap price. Only the last one is a 'clamshell' design...like most school backpacks. The first one has a 'clamshell' pocket on the front and has carbon fiber arrow shafts as an internal frame.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Arrow Shafts on 07/24/2011 23:29:25 MDT Print View

How do you like the carbon fiber arrow shafts? I have been looking at bending some aluminum poles into a U for my next pack, or using some coroplast.

I never thought about using those, but I bet they are very light and rigid.

K

Benjamin Bartlett
(bdbart) - F
carbon fiber is OK on 07/25/2011 08:04:17 MDT Print View

I do not have a 'cross bar' for the frame. This is a similar idea...you are gonna have to scroll through about half the pics....I am pointing out the internal frame idea
[URL="http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73381-Kelty-Map-3500-Review.-56k-suicide?highlight=kelty"]http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73381-Kelty-Map-3500-Review.-56k-suicide?highlight=kelty[/URL]

I have not used any of these packs on a hike, yet...but they seem pretty sturdy and I had extra arrow shafts... You can also get some at wally world for $3..YMMV

Edited by bdbart on 07/25/2011 08:05:26 MDT.