Why are you not a Member of BPL?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Why are you not a Member of BPL? on 12/02/2011 18:17:38 MST Print View

I was once a paid member, but then I started getting spam to an address that only BPL had, so I cancelled the paid membership.

--B.G.--

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re: Re: "Why are you not a Member of BPL?" on 12/02/2011 21:19:01 MST Print View

Some good points Nick.

Here is my 2CW.

To me the BPL forum is not what BPL is about, while the forum is important it is the actual magazine that is most important to me and is why I am a member, it is the gear reviews, most of which are without peer, especially Wills and Rogers scientific approach to testing, it is the trip reports most of which are in areas that a lot of us can only dream of going to, it is the MYOG articles, most of which are inspiring and makes me want to make all of my own gear.

BPL is the only magazine that is willing to publish truthful reviews about crappy gear, that is because they do not have any fear of having some their advertising revenue pulled and I think some here on BPL forget that BPL main stream of revenue is from membership which allows them to do this and without this members revenue BPL may cease to exist. Australian bushwalking magazines are so frightened of upsetting there advertisers that their reviews are pure rubbish, the so called reviews, are obviously written by the advertiser itself and are just another name for advertising feature.

These days a large part of the BPL forum is Chaff and I do not read it and I do not want to read it, as far as I am concerned Chaff is a total waste of my bandwidth and if I could I would like to be able to turn Chaff off. I also think that sections of the BPL forum should be restricted to non-members, the Editors Roundtable and member’s trip reports should be members only.

As far as I am concerned the survival of BPL is the most important, and it has to do what it has to do to survive, as long as BPL does not loose its honesty with gear reviews, I am all for BPL making changes to help it to keep being the best backpacking magazine around.

Tony

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
reviews on 12/02/2011 22:01:24 MST Print View

i resigned up just for the SOTM reports and WPB tests ...

what i find most useful isnt the particular gear reviews ... but those reviews that go over concepts, techniques and particular gear types

examples would be the last WPB on the latest fabric, and the integrated canister stoves .... while the information on individual gear tests will be outdated ... the basic concept lasts quite a long time ... the condensation articles are still the best ive seen online

note that there are very few publications left IMO that review gear fairly objectively ... BPL and backpackgeartest are the ones i know of, alpinist and outdoorgearlab is OK for climbing gear

every other mag/site that most people frequent are just regurgitated PR releases for the marketing departments

while im sure some of these mag/sites test out the gear ... note how they almost always say positive things, or insists it fits a "particular situation" (best cheap, best UL, best durable, best for resort, best something...)

the outdoor industry is one big marketers dream ....

Gordon Green
(nodrog) - F

Locale: UK
Why I resigned as a member of BPL on 12/03/2011 03:49:21 MST Print View

Here in the UK we have a very good and free forum.
It is funded by advertising.

I did join BPL some years ago and then found that there was a bit of mud-slinging going on. The recipient of this was someone who I know and respect. And, there were some high handed stances being taken.

So, I resigned.

Later, I re-joined. Ok, time had passed.

But, TBH, there is so much that other, free, web-sites can offer. When it came to re-newing my subs, I thought, No.

So, while I'm happy to look at the forum, I'll save my money for some gear rather than fund BPL.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Re: Re: "Why are you not a Member of BPL?" on 12/03/2011 06:26:44 MST Print View

Nick,
+2. Once again, you very eloquently express yourself. I could not agree with you more and thanks for all of your input.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
+2 too on 12/04/2011 14:05:49 MST Print View

Yeah Nick, I signed up again as a result of this thread. I missed the articles. I don't see my big red M though. :>)

OK - there it is. I was getting worried.

Edited by wildlife on 12/05/2011 21:35:18 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: +2 too on 12/04/2011 23:46:48 MST Print View

I think someone has to manually add the big red M. High tech, you know.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: +2 too on 12/04/2011 23:47:46 MST Print View

I believe it takes a full business day....

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Hehehehehe on 12/14/2011 13:35:28 MST Print View

Despite my reasoning for why I didn't see the need to renew my subscription someone just gifted me one.

Thank you for your generosity.

Bob Salcedo
(Baughb) - F

Locale: So Cal.
in addition to others... on 12/15/2011 10:23:48 MST Print View

Now a non-member cannot create a new thread on the gearswap forum... since it is the most active forum.

thank you