Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Easy, Lightweight, Low-Maintenance, non-Boil Bag meals - Need your Ideas

Display Avatars Sort By:
Gabe Miller
(gabespartan) - F
Easy, Lightweight, Low-Maintenance, non-Boil Bag meals - Need your Ideas on 07/20/2011 06:42:13 MDT Print View

I've got breakfast down - oatmeal, nuts, dried fruit.
But struggling for other ideas of lightweight, high energy meals.

Pitas and cheese make up a good meal. As does PBJ. I'm not a big fan of jerky unless it's all natural (if you have ideas there, please share), and would rather eat dirt than energy bars.

Would love to hear your ideas. Thanks!

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
Spud, oats, PB & cheese, three recipes on 09/13/2011 16:15:34 MDT Print View

These are mixed a couple of days before the trip. The flavors will not last if mixed then stored for weeks.

Instant potatoes mixed at home with all of the following ingredients added to the same batch:
veggie imitation chicken stock
shredded Parmesan cheese (haven't tried the powdered ones)
Nido dried whole milk
garlic powder
onion powder
a little hot curry mix for a hint of flavor, not an overpowering curry flavor
dried basil, powdered by rubbing in your hands
dried parsley powdered as added
butter powder
On the trail, put in a water proof container, add cold water, stir and set to let the flavors blend. This is stoveless--instant spuds do not need hot water.

Quick oats mixed with powdered cocoa mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, light on the cloves, Nido milk, butter powder. At home, add drops of almond extract and vanilla and stir into the dry oats. Take the flavorings of your favorite cookies and try to duplicate that in the loose quick oats. On the trail, add water, stir and wait 5 minutes. This is stoveless--quick oats do not need hot water.

If the trip is long enough, buy a small jar of peanut butter. At home, spoon out a full core sample from the center. Slice an 8 oz. package of cold extra sharp cheddar cheese lengthwise into a 1"x1"x6" log. Shove the log into the center of the PB jar. Refrigerate until you leave. Eat with a spoon. If you are worried about spoilage, eat the cheese first, but I haven't ever had a problem. The PB absorbs the oil that comes out of the cheese. The PB jar does not leak. The dense calories make up for the weight of the jar.

Edited by heyyou on 09/13/2011 16:49:33 MDT.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
various trail mixes on 09/13/2011 16:46:51 MDT Print View

I carry a variety of trail mixes, eating some of each at every meal, similar to different courses. The mixes are shopped for being calorie dense. Skurka wrote that he only carries foods of 130+ calories per ounce. That means I can carry some 120s because I can easily find 140s and 150s to compensate. Read the labels on the bulk trail mix bins at the store. Don't go there if you are in a hurry, and do not expect to get your selections right without some experimentation, following Sgt. Rock's spoonerism of "Trail and Error." Spooner was a radio announcer who mispronounced enough to become popular.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Easy, Lightweight, Low-Maintenance, non-Boil Bag meals - Need your Ideas on 09/13/2011 18:50:02 MDT Print View

I usually base my meals loosely off of the recipes found at Trailcooking.com. They have a no-cook section.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Easy, Lightweight, Low-Maintenance, non-Boil Bag meals - Need your Ideas on 09/13/2011 18:57:15 MDT Print View

On jerky? Go online to Food Network and watch the video for Alton Brown's homemade jerky. It is very very very good and easy to make I might add - and preservative free as well!