planning to make a tarp (back to SilNylon)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

Locale: PNW
planning to make a tarp (back to SilNylon) on 07/19/2011 23:04:07 MDT Print View

I couldn't find any cuben fiber on eBay, but I did find SilNylon for under $8/yard. So I got 4 yards of it, it's 65" wide, and I'm going to make a simple 8x5 tarp mainly for use as a "vestibule" on our BD Lighthouse. Since this is my first time doing anything like this, I tried to get a feel for what the finished tarp would look like, and I was all like WOW THAT'S BIG.

silnylon

It was heat cut but I suppose I'll need to make seams and tie-outs anyway. My boyfriend's mother has a 20-year-old sewing machine that I'll brush up on before attacking this, at any rate, and then I'll probably use the rest to make a daypack. I still can't believe how thin and light it is.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: planning to make a tarp (back to SilNylon) on 07/19/2011 23:54:18 MDT Print View

Uh oh - don't get addicted to doing MYOG stuff

There are a few articles on BPL under MYOG that might offer a few hints how to do it

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Good source for Sil on 07/27/2011 09:06:08 MDT Print View

Check out D.I.Y Gear Supply. http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=19
They have a great price on sil for seconds. I got my order in last week and it is great stuff.