I have been lurking on here for some time, and have made a couple of tarps and many stoves. However this is the first project worthy of a post.
I designed this to use the shoulder straps from my old Gregory pack, and actually just found a way to use my waist belt from the same system. The roll top has also been finished, with a traditional roll top rather than the snaps down the side.
I will post another photo of the pack in its finished state tonight.
The material is wx20 from Dimension Polyant - a light version of their xpac. They have stellar deals on their overruns and factory seconds. The black back was made from a cheap jansport duffel that I picked up at a thrift store to get all of the buckles and clips.
It is just a 400 denier pu coated el cheapo fabric, and was pretty hot when we took it out last weekend. Next version is getting some airflow.
I used the heavyweight packing bubblewrap, and some closed cell foam from packing to make a pad inside the back. The cordage is 550 paracord, which is heavy, but cheap because I had some laying around. It cinches down well to keep the load nice and motionless.
I don't have the weight, as my primary focus was learning how to actually sew one of these, but it is much lighter than my commercial pack. I suspect that it will be lighter still when I use only the Xpac and make my own straps. It is pretty darn water resistant, but I am not taping the seams on this one.
I hope you like it, I do so far.