Half-Bag / Insulated Pants
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Jackson
(Just_Jeff) - F

Locale: Colorado's Front Range
Half-Bag / Insulated Pants on 12/04/2006 01:27:50 MST Print View

Hey Bill - did you ever do anything with the REI pants that convert to an elephant's foot? ( http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4455/index.html?skip_to_post=32055#32055 )

I prototyped an uninsulated pair to see how it would work...not sure if I'm gonna make an insulated pair or not.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHalfBagPants.html

Edited by Just_Jeff on 12/04/2006 01:29:13 MST.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Re: Half-bag / pants on 12/04/2006 11:07:10 MST Print View

Perhaps the greatest advantage of going through the hassle of converting pants to a half-bag is not to keep your body warmer, but to avoid waking up to your water container a solid brick of ice, your camera frozen shut, your socks stiff as a board from ice, and your boots like concrete. You can't very well stuff all that crap down the legs of insulated pants, but you can put it inside a half bag for instant use in the cold, cold morning.

Jeff Jackson
(Just_Jeff) - F

Re: Half-Bag - Insulated Pants on 12/04/2006 13:00:38 MST Print View

True. But I don't foresee using these without at least a top quilt b/c I only need insulated pants when it really cold...otherwise I just get into my quilt.

I could put these pants on over my boots, though...another advantage.

Still not sure if it's worth the effort, though.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Half-bag / pants on 12/04/2006 14:07:36 MST Print View

> not to keep your body warmer, but to avoid waking up to your water container a solid brick of ice, your camera frozen shut, your socks stiff as a board from ice, and your boots like concrete.
You forgot the worst one of all: frozen contact lenses! Found mine is a little bed of slush one morning...

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
half-bag / pants... cool... on 12/04/2006 16:02:04 MST Print View

hmmm... that's pretty neat... gotta bookmark this...

Kevin Pietriyk
(pietriyk) - F

Locale: Northeastern PA
curious on 12/07/2006 07:06:19 MST Print View

Not sure if anyone thought of it already, but I seem to remember somewhere a mention that the zippers would be on the inseam and therefore irritating. I just had a thought about making the zippers on the outside, full-length, and flipping it around somehow to make the waist/crotch area the foot, and zip it together that way. Not sure if it would work at all, but it just came to me a minute ago. Might have to hack into an old pair of pants tonight to satisfy my curiosity.

Jeff Jackson
(Just_Jeff) - F

Circumference on 12/07/2006 12:43:39 MST Print View

Making the circumference of the ankles big enough to fit your waist when you flipped it around might make for baggy pants...like bell-bottoms! At least you'd be stylin!

Of course, it depends on how big your waist is compared to your ankles...might work better for some than others...

Definitely worth experimenting with.