Lightest scissors?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Lightest scissors? on 07/17/2011 20:43:15 MDT Print View

What are the lightest scissors without a knife for airline carry-on? Worst case I guess I can bust the blade off an old Classic SAK.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/17/2011 20:55:29 MDT Print View

Replacement scissors for a SwissCard might work, then you wouldn't have to tear up a functional knife...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/17/2011 21:39:39 MDT Print View

The smallest, lightest scissors I know of are those teeny tiny ones that come with some of the cheap sewing kit for travel use. Even the meanest TSA officer won't give you any hassles.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/17/2011 21:43:44 MDT Print View

I had some of those folding plastic scissors, and a TSA inspector in Miami grabbed them. That was even before 9/11.

--B.G.--

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
TSA timetraveler on 07/17/2011 23:07:05 MDT Print View

Bob,

The TSA was formed in 2002. Same brown shirt, but it must have been of another agency.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: TSA timetraveler on 07/17/2011 23:20:59 MDT Print View

Prior to 9-11, scissors were not an issue. In fact, it's been re-allowed as carry on since about 3-4 years ago.

In any case, the teeny tiny scissors I was talking about measure maybe 2 inches total. They are not foldable, no need.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/17/2011 23:25:57 MDT Print View

Hey Michael. I too have been stuck in a jam when I couldn't cut rope beyond security. I needed to lash some things to a pack for a long walk to the other terminal.
This guy shows a good way to cut rope without a cutting tool, just using the friction of your boots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShghbDZMlo
I know this doesn't answer your original question, but could solve some problems that you might run in to without scissors.
Honestly, you are going to be very iffy getting beyond security unless it is almost completely plastic with just s small, thin amount of metal.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: TSA timetraveler on 07/18/2011 00:14:44 MDT Print View

"Prior to 9-11, scissors were not an issue."

Well, then, some airline security guy took my folding scissors from me at the Miami airport prior to 9/11. I still remember that he said, "It has a cutting edge." Of course the plastic was so dull that you could jam it into your hand, and it wouldn't break the skin or even hurt.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Let's Use TSA's Guidelines on 07/18/2011 00:16:10 MDT Print View

Per official TSA guideline, "scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches" are allowed both as carried on and in checked baggage.

Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed -- and agents are allowed to use their discretion. But really, I wouldn't sweat it. I would expect basically no problems with bringing a 4" or less pair of scissors. And really, what's the consequence of a moody agent confiscating my scissors? I buy another one at the destination airport, Wally World or supermarket.

Edited by ben2world on 07/18/2011 00:21:25 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Let's Use TSA's Guidelines on 07/18/2011 00:23:38 MDT Print View

I'm sure that the airline security rules that change so often really keep those terrorists on their toes.

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/18/2011 00:46:43 MDT Print View

I have a pair of folding scissors and the TSA has not bothered me yet. And I travel a lot. But the TSA is not consistent at all airports on everything.

Like Ben says, if they get taken away it is not the end of the world.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/18/2011 00:57:05 MDT Print View

I used to travel to the East Coast a lot for business, and I used the scissors on my job. When they were taken away from me, there was no convenient place to purchase more. Like Nick said, not consistent.

--B.G.--

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Lightest scissors? on 07/18/2011 07:03:36 MDT Print View

Not the end of the world for sure. My goal is to take free bus from airport to town for fuel and then very cheap bus to trailhead. Should be on the trail in < 2 hours from landing. Drugstore may have something I could pick up if needed.

Someone said they carried on their poles in a tube last Oct from 2 major airports. Might try that and take along a real tent pole just in case. Mine are the cheap Walmart ones so I can replace them for just over the cost of checked bag fee.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
swisscard on 07/18/2011 17:51:31 MDT Print View

I've been using the replacement scissors from a swisscard after retiring my SAK classic, they work pretty well and are light