Forum Index » GEAR » A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/17/2011 19:01:28 MDT Print View

Neat video on Mountain Hardwear's involvement with Ueli Steck. A 10 lb baseweight for extreme alpine climbs. The tent is 2lbs, 8 oz (for 2) and will be available for 2012.

http://www.himalayaspeed.com/the-gear/mountain-hardwear/

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/17/2011 19:03:10 MDT Print View

the new packs are under 24oz for next year

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/17/2011 19:07:28 MDT Print View

It's hope for the future from the mainstream brands to provide what this community is looking for.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: Re: A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 09:13:25 MDT Print View

Awesome! Not just for alpine climbing, but for 8000m peaks, love it!

Edited by lindahlb on 07/18/2011 09:15:36 MDT.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
maybe on 07/18/2011 09:36:26 MDT Print View

Sounds great for anyone up to about 6'. Mountain Hardwear stuff is not made for the tall.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 09:51:39 MDT Print View

I find that their clothing fits perfect for me - 6'1" with long legs and long arms. I have never been in one of their tents, however. I think you are a lot taller than me, however.

I like the fact that there will be continued lightweight choice and that MH may be avoiding becoming too much like TNF.

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Locale: Newcastle, UK
A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 10:08:02 MDT Print View

My dad uses a fair bit of Mountain Hardwear gear and he is 6'6", so it certainly works for some tall people.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
XXL on 07/18/2011 13:54:08 MDT Print View

All I know is that I have not been able to find a jacket from them that has fit in the last 6 years and I am only 6'5", 230#s. Even some of the XXL stuff was too short in the body.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: XXL on 07/18/2011 13:57:39 MDT Print View

My friend who`s worked for MHW since the year it`s started is 6'5" and it fits him in the xxl. tents, not so much...

It doesn't fit me though, to short in a medium, way to boxy in a wide. but that shell looks sweet for ice climbing

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
amazing on 07/18/2011 18:54:41 MDT Print View

man that guy must be the most fit person alive! glad to see a big name making some light stuff :D

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 19:51:47 MDT Print View

MH told me the tent in the video is 81" long. Although the walls look reasonably steep, this would be too short with a high loft winter bag from touching the ends which may, or may not be an issue. So the same length as a Black Diamond First Light.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 19:56:06 MDT Print View

well Steck is like 5'9.... the floor seems to be removable so you can dig out the bottom for more space.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Bah Humbug to MH on 07/18/2011 20:16:06 MDT Print View

In my not-so-humble opinion, Mountain Hardware’s suggestion that their super gear has contributed to Ueli Steck’s accomplishments is utter nonsense. They specifically hint that Ueli’s gear has surpassed Reinhold Messner’s gear. But when he soloed Everest without bottled oxygen, Messner used:
1. Custom-made titanium crampons to his specific measurements.
2. A custom-made titanium ice axe to his specific measurements.
3. A custom-made tent to his specific measurements that was too small for him to stretch completely out.
4. A custom-made sleeping bag filled with Eider down.
5. A custom-made full-body suit including integral hood filled with Eider down.
Ueli Steck could probably not afford such super-light gear. Look to his physical condition to find the source of his accomplishments, do not look to his gear, IMHO.
"The Common Eider, Somateria mollissima, is a large (50–71 cm body length) sea-duck.
The eider's nest is built close to the sea and is lined with the celebrated eiderdown, plucked from the female's breast. This soft and warm lining has long been harvested for filling pillows and quilts, but in more recent years has been largely replaced by down from domestic farm-geese and synthetic alternatives. Although eiderdown pillows or quilts are now a rarity, eiderdown harvesting continues and is sustainable, as it can be done after the ducklings leave the nest with no harm to the birds."

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 20:24:50 MDT Print View

"In my not-so-humble opinion, Mountain Hardware’s suggestion that their super gear has contributed to Ueli Steck’s accomplishments is utter nonsense."

No where do they claim that.

But I think you are missing the point. UL gear from a mainstream manufacturer is something to discuss. As is a 10 lb base weight for alpine climbing.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Bah Humbug to MH on 07/18/2011 20:26:51 MDT Print View

Ueli steck is sponsored by Volkswagon/Audi, and is one of the most famous Swiss personalities right now, I'm pretty sure he could afford a $5000 eider down suit... And mountain hardware is Columbia so I'm pretty sure his pay scale is pretty high up.

So what if they make that claim. its a marketing statement. Ueli is the superior gear compared to Messner. he did beat his Eiger record already and is setting up new records all the time right now.

A mainstream brand is pushing the bounds of minimalism/UL in a industry driven by features to sell to multiple types of customers. I'm looking forward to climbing with some of the products.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Bah MH on 07/18/2011 20:40:43 MDT Print View

MH says, "Steck’s style of Alpine Speed Climbing requires new equipment—gear lighter, simpler and more efficient than anything before." You can't see the implication that Steck's style (i.e. his performance) "requires" MH gear? If the gear isn't contributing to his style, why does it "require" it?
MH contuinues: "To develop this next generation of alpine gear, Steck teamed up with Mountain Hardwear’s product development team." Next generation? Next generation? Bah Humbug! Have you ever used Cilo Gear packs, made out of non-woven dyneema? His boots are "lighter, simpler and more efficient than anything before"? La Sportiva boots, including the $1,000.00 / pair Oly Mons have been around for years, and MH has better boots? Bah Humbug!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

A 10 lb baseweight for Alpine Climbs on 07/18/2011 20:45:07 MDT Print View

I look at it the other way - Ueli is helping MH to manufacture lighter, alpine assault gear. I got the impression that MH was thrilled to have him provide input for the new line of gear.

Gabe Joyes
(gabe_joyes) - F

Locale: Lander, WY
cool on 07/18/2011 22:52:46 MDT Print View

Looks awesome, way to go Mountain Hardwear

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
hmmm on 07/18/2011 23:02:22 MDT Print View

yet he still uses a jetboil in the himalayas ;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 07/18/2011 23:03:11 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Ueli on 07/19/2011 08:22:43 MDT Print View

I was waiting for that, Eric.....;)