Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
need to mod a swift hip belt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
need to mod a swift hip belt on 07/17/2011 18:06:50 MDT Print View

Would anyone have any advice on how to add some sort of "sticky" fabric or simply foam to the inside of my six moon designs swift hip belt.

The belt is made from two inch straps of webbing and sewn into sort of a v configuration with the straps being seperated by about 3 inches at the pack frame and coming together at the buckle.

Ron has a great pocket sewn on top of that web belt layout.

My problem, is I am not skinny, and if I try and get the belt up high enough for it to cup my hip bone, the belt (the front part with the buckle) wants to slide down over my gut and go to my waist, and that lets all the weight of the pack bear on my shoulders.

As I cannot sew, whats an option to add some sort of fabric or foam to the inside of the belt so that I get some friction on the sides that may prevent it from sliding down.

Is there glue that will do this? What fabric or foam would you use, and where do you get it? Does anyone know of a shop or person who would sew it for me (if it cant be glued?)

Thanks

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
ask around on 07/17/2011 18:34:31 MDT Print View

I am unclear of your issue, but any seamstress in any town will be able to help. Ask at your local gear shop. They'll know someone with sewing skills.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
Re on 07/18/2011 19:42:30 MDT Print View

The inside of the hip belt is nothing but sil nylon and webbing and it's slick and slides down my hips I want foam or a more sticky material to get more of a friction fit.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Mesh on 07/18/2011 19:45:09 MDT Print View

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Mesh-Fabrics/4mm-Foam-Ventilated-Mesh-Black

rick mccoll
(rgmccoll) - F

Locale: East Tennessee
sticky foam on 07/19/2011 14:40:17 MDT Print View

Walmart and Michaels both carry a hobby foam (many colors) that have a peel off backing that will stick very well to silnylon. So far the thickest I have is seen is 6mm but I don't see why you cannot layer it if required to be thicker.

I have used it to make pouches that I want to have a little structure to them. It weights almost nothing.

I also have had success in gluing Evote (sleeping pad material about 3/8") using general 3M spray adhesive. Once touched together it will not move.

The glue on sticky Velcro is very strong. This would allow some adjustment if you need to get a better fit.

Given all that for self help, I can sew what ever you want but would have to have some detailed pics to ensure it would fit my machine. No charge for the sewing but you pay shipping both ways to Tennessee.