Forum Index » Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » New Zimmerific gear!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Hou
(danhou) - F

Locale: Queens
Attachment points? on 02/15/2012 18:28:35 MST Print View

Those panniers look incredible.

My one concern would be the straps that attach them to the rack. I know the Ortlieb's use some pretty serious hardware for those critical attachment points.

Have you had a chance to test these out in the real world yet? How secure were they under what conditions?

Chris Wright
(chriswrightcycles)
pannier on 07/05/2012 09:49:26 MDT Print View

Doug,

Assuming you have taken this setup for a test ride, what are your impressions of the pannier/rack attachment system? Looks like an elegant solution for what most pannier manufacturers make overly complicated. The daisy chain on the backside of the pannier seems to offer good adjustability. Is there anything you would change?

Best,
Chris

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: pannier on 07/05/2012 18:00:22 MDT Print View

There is one big change I would make - I would put carrying handles on the top. I didn't have them, and without them it made carrying them up stairs and such a bit of a pain in the butt, and it also made it more difficult to attach them to the racks.

The attachment system did not work out well at all (let me be clear that it was the system I asked for, not one Chris came up with). The whatever-they're-called wouldn't stay closed. I used shoelaces tied to the top rack for a couple of days until we could get a better replacement. I used a different strap system that worked out fine for the rest of the trip, but came away from the trip thinking that clips really are an easy way to go for putting panniers on racks. My buddy bought two sets of Ortlieb clips and mailed them to me - I'm going to rig them to the panniers next time I use them.

Other than that, the panniers did great. Plenty of room, plenty durable (for road touring), I'll definitely use them next time I do a tour. Again, the only changes I'd make is to put handles on the top for carrying (I'll rig a sling for the one's I have) and I'm going to try the Ortlieb clips for attaching to racks.

Hope this is helpful.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Good to see this on 08/16/2012 09:12:46 MDT Print View

Great to see this, including the seatbag.

I am always amazed at how a bike company will tout their new frame that weights 50 grams less than the old one, or use carbon brake levers to save 10g, or how their shoes are the lightest (by like 5g), yet sell a tiny seatbag, that will need to hold almost nothing, and make it out of the most ridiculously heavy fabrics and buckles!