Forum Index » Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » New Zimmerific gear!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 17:06:59 MDT Print View

Long before I was a backpacker, I toured various countries with a buddy, unsupported (just the two of us with our tents/sleeping bags/gear/maps/etc.). Usually three weeks at a time. I toured Scotland, Ireland, NE France, East Germany, New Zealand and Arizona like that, and Holland for a week.

When I turned 50 a few years ago, I decided to celebrate with a 9-day bike tour with my buds (two of them) in Vermont. One of my buds, Thomi, lives in Heidelberg, but he was more than happy to fly over here and celebrate with me. I promised when he turned 50 I'd fly over to Germany and celebrate with him with a short bike tour. That's this year. I'll be there Aug. 18-28.

Bike panniers are, in my opinion, notoriously overbuilt. And not the lightest things in the world. So I talked to, who else, Chris Zimmer about making some out of, what else, cuben. He did a fantastic job! Even made the top attachments exceptionally adjustable. Also had him make a small under-seat tool/tire bag. His wonderful craftsmanship is below.

The seat bag weighs an ounce. I sent Chris an Ortlieb pannier to use as a model. I sent a front pannier, and asked him to size up to make rear panniers. My new rear cuben/dyneema panniers weighs 6.5 oz. each, which is about 1 lb. 2 oz. less than the front pannier I sent him. Way cool!

The obligatory pics, seat bag first:

.seat bag

.seat bag2

And now the pannier:

.pannier1

.pannier2

.pannier3

.pannier4

.pannier5

Edited by idester on 07/17/2011 17:10:59 MDT.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 17:14:06 MDT Print View

Doug I think you have a cuben problem....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 17:16:48 MDT Print View

"Doug I think you have a cuben problem...."

Huh? I see cuben. I buy cuben. No problem! ;-)

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 17:17:46 MDT Print View

out of pocket, out of mind...

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 17:19:05 MDT Print View

on a serious bike note, check out revelate designs for frame bags, and other bike gear. sorry no cuben though

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 18:07:21 MDT Print View

I'm guessing you're talking about touring on a road bike? Cuben wouldn't stand up to a serious mountain bike spill. :-)

The products look great.

Edited by simplespirit on 07/17/2011 18:07:50 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 18:58:31 MDT Print View

Yup, road bike. I've never toured on a mountain bike - it's all been road touring. Forget the cuben panniers, my Koga-Miyata wouldn't do to well on trails either.... ;-)

I have been thinking about getting a 29'er though: a Trek Superfly Elite. My riding buddy got one about a month ago, and it's seems to be a pretty awesome bike, so I think I'm gonna get me one! Can't take my Madone on the trails either!

Edited by idester on 07/17/2011 18:59:12 MDT.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:00:03 MDT Print View

Take a look at Jamis 29'ers or the Surly one.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:02:42 MDT Print View

I have a Surly Karate Monkey single-speed. It's the most pimped out Monkey you'll find. King hubs with Stan's rims, King headset, Avid Elixir CR brakes, Thomson seat post and stem, Easton carbon bars, and a RockShox Reba Race fork. Best part is I paid about 1/3 the cost of that Trek. :-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:13:48 MDT Print View

Ah yes, but my hankering for cuben is nearly matched by my hankering for carbon fiber...... ;-) And at least the Trek is cheaper than the bamboo bike I was lusting after a couple of months ago!

Though that Surly of yours sounds exceptionally sweet!

Edited by idester on 07/17/2011 19:14:35 MDT.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:16:22 MDT Print View

check out the Alaska Vid with the surly pugsley's. you'll forget about carbon

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:20:15 MDT Print View

"check out the Alaska Vid with the surly pugsley's. you'll forget about carbon"

Link! Link!

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:29:46 MDT Print View

http://vimeo.com/25943565

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:50:21 MDT Print View

oh
my
god

Incredible. Who took the video?

Simply incredible.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 19:54:07 MDT Print View

You know, some people (not me, of course) would say that instead of lightening up with cuben, you should just HTFU. But that's just some obviously rude people.......

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Zimmerific gear - mountain bike spill on 07/17/2011 19:57:25 MDT Print View

check out roman's blog, he's in it.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/17/2011 19:59:27 MDT Print View

"you should just HTFU"

Well, I do ask Chris to use the heavier cuben......

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
New Zimmerific gear! on 07/19/2011 06:33:28 MDT Print View

Douglas, great looking packs! Mike Curiak took the video. He's a stud... you should google up some of his adventures.

You'll LOVE the 29er on trail. Chris's recommendation to check out the Surly is a good one. You might also check out monstercross bikes since you have some experience with drop bar bikes. I have a Singular Peregrine that I love. Salsa makes a Fargo that is a similar bike that's very popular for bikepacking / touring as well.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: New Zimmerific gear! on 07/19/2011 13:53:45 MDT Print View

Thanks Don! I'll check out the Peregrine and Salsa.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
holy cow! on 07/19/2011 22:37:20 MDT Print View

Holy cow! That is some beautiful gear. Great job Chris. I may try to be in touch with you as I am considering building a frame bag with the XPAC John a.k.a Newton has just shipped out to me via the PIF express :).

Douglas,

Can you take a picture of your touring rig loaded up with the panniers and seat bag attached?