Forum Index » GEAR » New 2012 Hilleberg models

Display Avatars Sort By:
Arthur Van Damme
(Tuur009) - F
Re: Rogen or Unna? on 03/20/2012 14:05:49 MDT Print View

Richard

I think I am a bit like you and worry a lot when on a hike, especialy about the weather :-) I know its a bit strange for a hiker who wants to be in- and enjoy nature, but who's constantly worried about the weather, but that just how I am I guess...

Now, I'm still in doubt regarding the choice Unna, Soulo or Rogen. As my iceland hike is only in july I will have the opportunity to await some reviews of the Rogen. I will decide then I guess.

I understand your choice for the 4-season Unna that can handle almost every weather-type, but as I am a young guy and not working for a very long time I have only litlle savings that should be spend wisely (especialy at those Hilleberg-prices :-) ) I've never done a solo hike (and nor will I in Iceland, but I go with 2 friends who will share a tent) and I'm not so sure if I will do it a lot in the future.

That's probably my biggest concern if I should buy a solo-tent, namely that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the price.

I'll probably buy a 2-person tent I guess. The Allak looks perfectly but is very heavy when I have to carry it alone (3,1 kg). The Rogen looks like the ideal compromise, not to heavy to carry alone (2,1 kg), and I can also use when with 2.

Doubts, doubts, doubts :-)

PS: I want to thank everybody for your numerous and well-founded replies! I'm very glad I found this forum today! You've already helped me a lot!

Edited by Tuur009 on 03/20/2012 14:09:56 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
67.928753 -146.031075 on 03/20/2012 14:07:38 MDT Print View

What does your car have to do with this thread? Go car camping here: 67.928753 -146.031075 Let us know how that one works. :)

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Hilleberg choices on 03/21/2012 12:46:02 MDT Print View

Arthur,

I haven't used one, but the Hilleberg Kaitum line has been highly praised for four-season use. 2- and 3-man models, tunnel tents so likely a bit stronger, and now available with the GT vestibule, which really helps on a long trip. You're right, Hilleberg is pricey (higher in Europe than the US) but whichever one you select you will get good value.

Keep us posted. Richard

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Kaitum on 03/21/2012 13:18:54 MDT Print View

I have a Kaitum 3. It's the widest three person tent that Hilleberg makes, in terms of interior space - it can handle three adults without feeling cozy. Vertical inner tent doors also contribute to a palatial feeling. Ventilation options are excellent with the two vestibules. The Kaitum 2 is lighter than the Allak (2.9kg vs 3.1kg). If you're comfortable with a non-freestanding tent, the only downside is the footprint - at 4m 30cm long you need a large space to pitch the Kaitum.

Arthur Van Damme
(Tuur009) - F
official hilleberg response - part 2 on 03/22/2012 06:59:25 MDT Print View

Hi Guys, it's me again.

I'm back with another post because I received a second answer to my question (see earlier posts) from Hilleberg! And this second answer is actually a bit different from the first, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. I got this second answer because I sended a message to Hilleberg on facebook but did not receive an answer. Therefore I sended an e-mail to Hilleberg-customers service like Richard proposed and I got a first answer that I have already posted here on tuesday. Today I finaly received an answer on my facebook message, which is - like I've said - a bit different than the first answer.

Greetings to you all!

Hilleberg answer on my question regarding the new Rogen tent being able to withstand Iceland's summer weather conditions:

Dear Arthur,
So sorry for our late response, we didn't see the message until now!
Since the outertent doesn't go all the way to the ground and the fact that you have mesh on the door of the innertent the ventilation is better which leads to less condensation, but also more wind inside the tent which can have a cooling effect. But if you have a sleeping bag that works well down to the colder degrees it would be a good thing to have with you. We make our three season tents based on Swedish three season conditions, but the comfort also depends on the other equipment you bring.
The Soulo is a sturdy and stable tent which would probably suit you better if you know that you will be camping in harsh conditions with heavy wind. If you are looking for a two person dome tent we can recommend the Allak for you which is the four season version of Rogen.
Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Hilleberg team

Edited by Tuur009 on 03/22/2012 07:01:26 MDT.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
Re: official hilleberg response - part 2 on 03/22/2012 09:20:02 MDT Print View

The Rogen looks like it will be a fantastic addition to the Hilleberg line of top rate tents.

I was seriously considering buying it and through my connections was able to review the pitching instructions. The setup looks fast, much like Hille tunnel tents or the Unna, with the addition of a short brow-pole.

A cool thing about the tent is that both wings on each vestibule can be rolled back and that flexibility will let you catch or somewhat block a breeze regardless of where it's blowing from. It is also quick to switch from one entry angle to the other using a "toggle" at the staking point for the vestibule.

I'd only be worried about the more airy nature of the Rogen if you are used to only tenting in more confined 4 season tents. Like most if not all Hillebergs, the doors have both a high ventilation no-see-um layer as well as the heavier yellow material layer. You can also lean this tent into the wind, staking the vestibule taking the wind right to or very close to the ground.

A Soulo vs. Rogen choice for me would come down to mainly my needs in size. The Rogen is light enough to carry going solo if you want this level of space and protection. That makes it a pretty versatile 3-season tent that can likely take heavy use, like all Hillebergs.

Ole Saether
(osaether) - MLife

Locale: Norway
Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/03/2012 23:29:19 MDT Print View

I got my Rogen last month and have used it for one overnighter and already it is my favorite tent! I will try it out again tonight.

PS: Happy independence day!

Edited by osaether on 07/03/2012 23:31:31 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/04/2012 07:28:48 MDT Print View

Oh how cool Ole. Will be expecting some pictures now.

Ole Saether
(osaether) - MLife

Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/05/2012 02:58:49 MDT Print View

Below are three (poor) pictures a took of my Rogen on an overnighter last week.

Hilleberg Rogen

Hilleberg Rogen

Hilleberg Rogen

Edited by osaether on 07/09/2012 05:49:25 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/06/2012 22:16:45 MDT Print View

Why did you delete the pictures?

Jason Hung
(moma-moma) - F - M

Locale: store.picharpak.com
Rogen vs Big Sky Rev 2P on 07/06/2012 23:43:47 MDT Print View

any comment on this Rogen vs Big Sky Rev 2P

I do own a Big Sky Rev 2p but the inter tent is a full mesh!
i do think the quality cannot be compare, just like to discuss the design aspect as both tent do look similar!

and price are close too

Cheers
Jason

Ole Saether
(osaether) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/09/2012 05:50:31 MDT Print View

David: I have undeleted them now!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hilleberg Rogen on 07/09/2012 08:08:42 MDT Print View