Forum Index » GEAR » New 2012 Hilleberg models

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Wine vs. Politics on 08/08/2011 06:11:38 MDT Print View

If more of us were into red wine than Ayn Rand, the world would indeed be a happier place.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Wine vs. Politics on 08/08/2011 06:51:27 MDT Print View

Hate it when a good Tea Party essay turns into a liberal meme. How do you make that transition? It's just bad manners.....

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Wine and politics on 08/08/2011 07:24:43 MDT Print View

I kept mine to 1 line of text. I have a much lower chance of being wrong that way.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
New 2012 Hilleberg models on 08/08/2011 08:22:25 MDT Print View

Everyone, governments included, should spend less than they make. And when taxpayers have enough money saved, they should splurge on something outrageously expensive occasionally.

Edited by skinewmexico on 08/08/2011 11:43:19 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Wine and politics on 08/08/2011 09:40:40 MDT Print View

"I kept mine to 1 line of text. I have a much lower chance of being wrong that way."

Damn that's funny.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 08/08/2011 10:22:19 MDT Print View

Since the original poster isn't complaining about thread hijack

The government should spend less than they make during good times, like most of 2000 to 2008

In a recession, some debt makes since, like have you noticed that in the latest job reports there is an increase in private jobs but it's almost cancelled by a loss of public jobs? Those were the jobs paid for by the stimulus which is now running out. Those public employees will now have no income, so they spend less, which hurts the economy.

Sorry, can't fit into one line : (

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 08/08/2011 10:32:56 MDT Print View

"Sorry, can't fit into one line : ("

Economy hurting? Spend government dough! J.M. Keynes told us so!

One line. Easy.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Re: it was probably v. on 08/08/2011 11:00:10 MDT Print View

But everyone forgets the second half of his position was governments should save when times are good.

Overspending in boom times instead of repaying debt taken on in recessions is much more of an issue than spending to dull the effects of a reccession.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models - easier than one liner on 08/08/2011 11:00:10 MDT Print View

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 08/08/2011 12:49:57 MDT Print View

""Sorry, can't fit into one line : ("

Economy hurting? Spend government dough! J.M. Keynes told us so!

One line. Easy."

I count three lines

Mine is four lines

Oops - make that five lines

Ohhh - nevermind....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models - easier than one liner on 08/08/2011 13:00:54 MDT Print View

"1.61803399"

George, you are Golden (wink). I have a Fibonacci tatoo.

Bill Heiser
(bheiser1) - F
Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 11/25/2011 17:49:48 MST Print View

I wouldn't say they are "drunk", for the reasons explained by others. But unfortunately these prices are out of reach for many of us. :| I'm not saying it's not worth it, just saying that the typical backpacker can't spend $790 for a tent. For most of us, that kind of price range is what we envision for gear to be used on an alpine expedition, not regular 3/4 season backpacking.

But, then, apparently Hillebergs are the Mercedes of tents... and most of us can't afford Mercedes either...

Edited by bheiser1 on 11/25/2011 17:52:18 MST.

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
wine and roses... on 11/28/2011 05:11:28 MST Print View

If more of us were into red wine, more of us would suffer from gout...

Johan Engberg
(luffarjohan) - M

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime
Pricing on 12/02/2011 08:26:24 MST Print View

My Hilleberg tent (Jannu), was bought a couople of years ago in the states and delivered to me by my american brother in law.
But, for the price I would have payed if I bought it here, I also could have afforded a flight ticket to the states and back. I other words, it's the same cost to manufacture a tent here, ship it to the states and the ship it back than to just buy it off the factory floor. Makes sense.

Where do I live? Sweden
Where is my tent produced? Latvia (for those who don't know is just around the corner and also a member of the EU-union = no toll)
Retail price in Sweden for a Jannu (2012): $ 1092
So from my point of view, you're all spoiled by extreme retail prices. :)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 12/02/2011 08:50:35 MST Print View

I agree that Hillebergs should be on anyone's list for an expedition ready, 4 season shelter.

But their 3 season shelters are going to 'miss' in North America. Far too expensive when there are lighter, cheaper, high performance 3 season tents from other manufacturers. There is no real benefit of a 3 season Hilleberg tent over other 3 season tent makers. It may be perceived through brand value but it really doesn't exist.

4 Season, yes.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New 2012 Hilleberg models on 12/02/2011 12:40:37 MST Print View

Johan
Your tent is made in Estonia.
Where is Estonia ?
Next door to Latvia.
A long way from China but no so far from Finland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr3nK_bvKQ
Franco

Johan Engberg
(luffarjohan) - M

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime
Baltic confusion on 12/02/2011 23:49:00 MST Print View

Estonia it is of course, I stand corrected. It doesn't change my point though since Estonia is even closer.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New 2012 Hilleberg models on 12/03/2011 02:15:58 MST Print View

We have the same "problem" here in Australia.
People want US prices but Australian wages and conditions...
Franco

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Hilleberg 3-season tents on 12/03/2011 09:55:55 MST Print View

I saw these at the last Outdoor Retailer show, they look much like the older models but have a lighter weight Kerlon. As for value, my Hilleberg tent was one of the smartest purchases I've ever made. After five years and two Arctic expeditions (by Peter, from whom I bought it) it's functionally as good as new.

Looks like Hilleberg is doing some hedging itself. The European website used to have list prices in Euros, now it's in Swedish kroner. Need not be an economist to figure that one out.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: New 2012 Hilleberg models on 12/03/2011 13:10:12 MST Print View

> Far too expensive when there are lighter, cheaper, high performance 3 season tents from other manufacturers.

A couple of comments:
* Those who have Hilleberg tents don't seem to think they are all that expensive.
* Corresponding NZ Macpac tents are about the same price, and they also sell quite well.
* Perhaps you would care to name other brands which are of comparable quality for extreme mountain weather?

Yes, there are many other brands of so-called 4-season tents. I know most of them. Imho most of them are really designed for sheltered locations in mild weather. Oh sure, their marketing spin may claim otherwise, but that's to be expected.

When the brown ring starts going past at 100+ kph, then you find out the difference between a genuine mountain tent and a cheap mass-market tent.

Cheers