Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Looking for Tarp pattern....

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Hardt
(jasonhardt) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Looking for Tarp pattern.... on 07/17/2011 12:00:31 MDT Print View

Hello everyone, I have really enjoyed BPL, and have a question to post. I have made tarps and sacks before, and want to try something new.

I am a big fan of the trekking pole tents like the Nemo Meta, Six Moons Haven and Hilleberg Rajd.rajd

I have a roll of DP vf31, very light and waterproof.

Has anyone seen any comparable patterns for this type of tent? I suppose I could make a model with plastic, but I am poor and lazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

P.S., Is there any truth to the rumor that bears are attracted to bright orange?

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Bears and bright colors on 07/18/2011 13:37:15 MDT Print View

Interesting question about the bright colors. Bears do have color vision.

Here is a blurb I found supporting the fact that they do investigate unusual things in their environment. http://www.trailquest.net/bears.html

I find that rolling in peanut butter every night before going to bed keeps bears from investigating my tarp. Seriously...

K

(Edited for Clarity: Jason is my good friend, and I'm the one who originally mentioned the orange tarp thing to him, not just some troll.)

Edited by keith_bassett on 07/18/2011 16:26:29 MDT.

Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

Locale: PNW
like this? on 07/19/2011 23:27:26 MDT Print View

Is this similar to what you want?

Jason Hardt
(jasonhardt) - F

Tarp pattern on 07/20/2011 10:53:22 MDT Print View

That is really close to what I have in mind, but mine will be wide enough for two, and I plan sew in a floor and no-see-um mesh on the sides. I am designing something right now with Sketch-up, and hope to post it soon.

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
tent/tarp patterns on 07/21/2011 14:11:16 MDT Print View

http://questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag-cart.htm

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Looking for Tarp pattern on 07/21/2011 16:45:09 MDT Print View

Ray Jardine has a tarp pattern in his Tarp Book. It may appear in Trail Life as well.