Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Removing grommets froma tarp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Removing grommets froma tarp? on 07/17/2011 00:36:02 MDT Print View

I have an outdoor products 9x7 tarp. It was pretty good for the money, but I could ditch the grommets and save a little weight with fabrics loops. I prefer them over grommets anyways.
Anybody have advice for removing them? I have never done any gear alterations before.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Removing grommets froma tarp? on 07/17/2011 00:54:14 MDT Print View

I just did that with a poncho. I have a small vice with rubber jaws and I was able to clamp on the edge of the grommet and the corner of the cloth. I warmed it up with a hair dryer so the fabric would soften and stretch and I could slide it off one edge of the grommet.

It was an old poncho, so I wasn't worried about "pretty" but it wasn't too bad. You're left with the raw hole, which could be covered with a patch. You could turn the negative into a positive and make that a corner reinforcement. I needed access to the end of the hem of a drawstring, but in your case, the grommets really don't weigh much--- the four I removed weigh 3.1g *total*. For the damage done and the weight of the patches, it doesn't seem worth the bother.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Removing grommets froma tarp on 07/17/2011 01:14:29 MDT Print View

It's 1 lb 5 oz. Maybe a little on the heavy side. I bought it from REI for 40 bucks, but I have yet to see a good tarp for the same price that is lighter. I'm to broke to pay anything more though. I have heard a lot about grommets getting ripped out though and I am paranoid about that.

Your method does sound interesting and easier, so thank you for the info. Doesn't involve any cutting that could leave rough ends.

Edited by justin_baker on 07/17/2011 01:16:17 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Removing grommets froma tarp on 07/17/2011 09:51:27 MDT Print View

Have you looked at the blue poly tarps at REI? It's slightly smaller (8x6) but only 11oz and $3.50. The 10x8 is $6.50 and weighs in at 18oz. If you have access to a sewing machine you could trim it to size and shave more weight. I know they tend to be a bit crinkly, but may work for your hiking needs.