Forum Index » GEAR » Favorite piece of gear?

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Monroe, WA
My pack on 07/18/2011 18:16:31 MDT Print View

My ULA Catalyst. Something about a backpack spells freedom for me. Just looking at it makes me yearn for the trails.

Zeno Marx
(ZenoMarx) - F
Re: Favorite piece of gear? on 07/18/2011 22:27:18 MDT Print View

Q: what is your favorite thing you own?
A: the last thing I bought.

Columbia anorak I picked up in 1988. Some proprietary fabric that was supposed to compete with Goretex. 2nd priority only to food on hikes and outdoor outings of any sort. Still looks like the day I bought it. I'd say my backpack, but then I'd have to tell everyone what model it is. I'm looking for a backup or two, and I don't want any additional competition.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Favorite Gear on 07/19/2011 10:57:45 MDT Print View

My WM sleeping bags. I know that whatever happens, I'll have a warm night's sleep.

My Marmot Driclime jacket. Not UL, but I've been wearing it for years and it makes the cut on most trips.

Will Shewell
(Wshewell) - F

Locale: South East USA
Re: Favorite piece of gear? on 07/22/2011 20:51:28 MDT Print View

My fav piece of gear has, is and will always be the wine bladder.

A wine bladder, when packed, lugged as extra weight, saved for the right place and night, is full of reward, presents a well received rich, tonal pleasure enjoyed in the absolute calm solitude provided from being in the middle of a beautiful wilderness nowhere.

Favorite Piece of Gear: Full Wine Bladder

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Favorite piece of gear? on 07/23/2011 00:27:47 MDT Print View

^^^^^ two up.

AKA, bota bag.

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
Favorite piece of gear... on 07/23/2011 01:24:58 MDT Print View

pain. The one that comes with effort, not injury.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Tri-Ti ULC and pot on 07/23/2011 02:28:29 MDT Print View

My cooking system, even if I don't always bring it:

850mL MLD mug with Caldera Tri-Ti ULC. It's perfection.

EASILY the first thing that jumped into my mind- I suspect because I'm a bit of a tinkerer. Also, I never get very emotionally attached to clothes, unlike so many others, here. I tend to get attached to things that are more durable than than.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Favorite gear on 07/23/2011 06:03:42 MDT Print View

It's a tossup between

1. A $.97 Tyvek painter's cap from the Home Depot near me. It keeps the sun off just as well as the more expensive alternatives. I've stained it orange to let the hunters know I'm not a deer. I add a cheap hotel shower cap to it in the rain.

2. My Heetsheets emergency bivy with a full length zipper I attached myself. Unzipped, it's my ground cloth, and partially zipped it keeps the rain and snow off me under my tarp or tarptent. Fully zipped, it adds about 10 degrees to whatever sleeping bag I've brought along.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
open road on 07/23/2011 08:47:07 MDT Print View

my Stetson Open Road, not really UL @ 4.1 oz, but sheds rain pretty well, cuts down the sun, breathes decently and I've had it for over 20 years with lots and lots of good memories

<-------

second would have to be my Houdini- truly a jack knife of garments- light, sheds light rain/snow, breathes incredibly, stops wind in it's track, insects can't penetrate it, has a hood and packs into itself to a little bigger than a pack of smokes

<-------

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
gear on 07/23/2011 22:22:16 MDT Print View

Never fails to make me happy....

Firemug Holey Grail

Hal Potts
(halpotts) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
Favorite piece of gear? on 07/23/2011 22:40:48 MDT Print View

My Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 poles. They never slip because there are no joints, they're as light and simple as can be and just fun to use. It's always a joy to get them out of the car!

Sieto van der Heide
(Sieto)

Locale: The Netherlands
MLD Super Exodus on 07/24/2011 08:21:15 MDT Print View

My favorite piece of gear is my MLD 2010 Super Exodus. I got it for my birthday about a year ago, and use for everything; in town, backpacking, climbing. I love the look of the Dyneema X.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Anything made by Mountain Laurel Designs on 07/24/2011 08:51:21 MDT Print View

My true favorite is my Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter.
This is the finest shelter I have ever used. It has all the advantages of my old school Chouinard Pyramid tarp at a fraction (like 1/12th) of the weight. Kept me safe and dry for 95 nights through a record setting wet year on the AT. Sets up on any terrain quickly and easily. It IS da Bomb!
A close second is my Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit Quilt.
This is the first synthetic sleeping gear i have had since polarguard came out.
It is also my first quilt.
Climashield proved to be superb even when wet. Dried quickly by bodyheat alone. After 95 compressions and de-compressions it looks like brand new.
Momentum 90 feels like silk.
I was comfortable down to a confirmed 24 degrees using this quilt and wearing all the clothes i had brought in the Smokey Mountains. At $200 the 19 ounce Spirit Quilt 30 is a versatile value. Get one and thank me later.
My third fav would have been the MLD exodus i carried on the CDT and AT but i have an MLD Super Prophet I am in love with now! I'll let you know how well the Super Prophet hold up after 8,000 miles or so. :)

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/24/2011 08:54:31 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Anything made by Mountain Laurel Designs on 07/25/2011 22:22:24 MDT Print View

Ah, another MLD fan...

a b
(Ice-axe)
I buy the Best.. I buy U.S. made gear. on 07/25/2011 23:02:42 MDT Print View

I try to buy American made things whenever i can.
I learned about Mountain Laurel Designs while on my first thru hike in 2009 when i met Lint carrying his MLD Exodus.
The quality compared to my foreign made Golite amazed me. When i found out they were US made I was sold.
It was a natural progression for me to buy an MLD shelter after seeing those in action on the PCT as well.
When it came time to try a quilt I was within a hair of buying an Enlightened Equiptment quilt for the AT. In fact i might still get one.
My MLD Spirit Quilt is superb for the moment.
We all lament the fact that jobs are being outsourced. It is time we began to do something about it.
Buy American made products where you can even if it means paying more. Provided the quality is there, and it most certainly is in spades in the cottage outdoor gear industry, why not support American manufacturing.
I am by no means a rich man. I just spent the last three summers out of work hiking the Triple Crown. I am broke as a joke. But when i spend my money again you can bet it will be on American made gear. It's not a race thing.. it's a survival decision.
If we cease to make things in this country what is left?
Fast food jobs in restaurants owned by the Chinese i suspect.
Buy American, the job you save might very well be your own.

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/25/2011 23:08:01 MDT.