Forum Index » Chaff » I might be an idiot

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
I might be an idiot on 07/15/2011 22:06:45 MDT Print View

Smart people can identify dumb people easily because smart people know a lot of things that dumb people don't know and can therefore id the dumb people by seeing that they don't know as much as themselves.

It is harder for dumb people to id smart people, however. The dumb person knows less so they don't have a resevoir of questions to test for smartness. The best a dumb person can do is to determine that the other person is a smart as themselves. If the possible smart person says they know the answer to a question the dumb person can't answer then the dumb person has to consider that the possible smart person is just fooling them......but they can't be sure either way.

So I sit here wondering if I'm dumb or smart. I can't be sure that I'm much smarter than anyone, really. Just when I think I am smarter the other person comes up with something that I never considered or even thought of. So maybe I'm an idiot?

At least I'm a lifetime member idiot so I can't be kicked out of backpacking light.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Knowing on 07/15/2011 22:13:21 MDT Print View

The man who thinks he knows, does not know.
The man who knows he does not know, knows.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Knowing on 07/15/2011 22:22:56 MDT Print View

I don't even know enough to know that I don't know.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"I'm might be an idiot" on 07/15/2011 22:37:06 MDT Print View

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: I might be an idiot on 07/15/2011 23:15:43 MDT Print View

My two cents...

Dumb is not measured by how little you know. We call that ignorant or uneducated or inexperienced, but not necessarily dumb.
Dumb is the guy who doesn't know, but insists he does, and won't learn from anyone or anything -- the guy who wore cotton, almost got hypothermia, and wears cotton again.

seth t
(diggity) - F
oo on 07/16/2011 02:28:24 MDT Print View

oo

Edited by diggity on 04/06/2012 20:47:26 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: I might be an idiot on 07/16/2011 06:56:44 MDT Print View

Can someone please explain to me what y'all are talking about?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: I might be an idiot on 07/17/2011 17:27:04 MDT Print View

"Can someone please explain to me what y'all are talking about?"

DUMMY!

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Let's learn from the master on 07/17/2011 22:04:37 MDT Print View

Homer Simpson quotes

Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain - remember when I took that home wine making course, and I forgot how to drive?

Who are you? Why am I here? I want answers now or I want them eventually!

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You/re making a scene'.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
"The Village Idiot" on 07/18/2011 10:33:41 MDT Print View

For many years, when offered a dime or a nickel, the village idiot would always take the nickel. This went on for many years. He was routinely mocked by everyone in his village. He became a disgrace.

Finally, a childhood friend felt sorry for him, "Why do you always take the nickel?"

The village idiot didn't hesitate, "If I took the dime, they'd stop making the offer."

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
I might be an idiot on 07/19/2011 03:17:05 MDT Print View

Is it better to be an idiot or a wise guy ?

To make you (and me ) feel better , here are some examples of how "geniuses" can also have dumb ideas

1) Thomas Edison . In 1920 he was working away trying to build a machine that could talk to the dead.
(a very good reason why we cannot talk to the dead is because they are not alive)

2) Alexander Graham Bell (Hello!)
He spent a fortune trying to increase the nipples on sheep from two to four

3) Dr. Yoshiro Nakamatsu
The man with the most patents (mostly electronic gitzmos)
Invented The Love Jet. A potion that a woman can spray down there to attract men.

4) Walter Christie (American inventor, keen on tanks)
He tried to invent a flying tank. This would be dropped from a plane and shed the wings upon landing.

5) Charles Darwin
Spent a long time (years) studying earth worms and came to the conclusion that worms have flattened the earth
(that is created plains from uneven ground/hills/mountains)
If you have access to a worm farm, pile up some food in the box, a few days later you will have a perfectly flat surface.
However it does not work like that on a bigger scale.

Franco
and...
BTW, has anyone noticed that men are MUCH better coming up with really stupid ideas than women ?
take that , sister...

Have you ever seen a little girl on a roof pretending to fly ?
well I was able to do that at five or six (early start)

Edited by Franco on 07/19/2011 03:57:17 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
the dumbing down of us, the internet, and everything on 07/19/2011 10:09:06 MDT Print View

At some point in any thread I come to believe a responder has a different window open to a search engine from which he is borrowing someone else's knowledge base to answer the original poster's question or get a fire starter for his own personal flame war. I once called a manufacturor bout an item I read about here online that poster raved about and was informed he hadn't sold any yet only given a few to friends but would let me know when they were available.Getting information from the internet is like getting a drink of water from a fire hydrant and requires a level of intelligence to filter it to an useable level. Social media sites are like adding more sugar to an already to sweet recipe but they to have great uses when a level of intelligence is used to filter the medium.
http://www.digg.com/story/r/are_social_media_creating_the_laziest_generation
I read this today and was nodding my head up and down when it dawned on me the author was actually talking about me, I build data centers for a living providing the storage and access base for an ever growing cycle of dumbing down. How smart can we be if medical doctors have coined a phrase for injuries caused by always having ones head down staring at a "smart phone?"
As I circle around the point of my growing dumber by the minute I recently had the pleasure of caring for 2 precocious 10 year old girls. Fro entertainment they booted up every electronic device in my home office to play with, it all seemed pretty harmless until I realized they had spent better than an hour and a half submitting answers to Answer.Com, when I caught up with this they had just offered their combined sage advice about driving trucks. Actually I am a 10 year old boy answering posters here and on a popular web sex advice column too.
Thanks for your time and eyeballs.