Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Shoulder Gaiters?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kirsten Roos
(Kirstenr) - MLife

Locale: Anchorage
Shoulder Gaiters? on 07/15/2011 11:43:38 MDT Print View

So I'm hiking along in the drizzle and notice that its really mainly my shoulders that are getting wet (wearing a precip ballcap). I'm just wearing a wool tee since I'm hill climbing and don't want get all sweaty in my rain jacket. But this is a typical chilly Alaskan summer and I will be throwing on layers as soon as I stop. Getting the tee dry again will be challenging.

And I start to think.. hmm... I need to invent some shoulder gaiters. Just a flap some how attached that sheds a bit of rain. It wouldn't work if the rain was blowing sideways.. but for this day it would have been perfect... especially if they served some other purpose while not being used.

hmm...any thoughts? Crazy and useless? Already exists?

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Why not a cape? on 07/15/2011 12:03:41 MDT Print View

Could just make a mini-poncho without a hood and call it a cape, since you are wearing a waterproof hat.

ADD: Of course my seldom used Marmot Mica only weighs a tad over 6 oz., so there's some pretty light alternatives, even from big companies like Marmot and TNF (their Triumph)

Edited by hknewman on 07/15/2011 12:08:20 MDT.

Anthony Analetto
(Fubar2us) - F

Locale: MidWest USA
Mini Poncho / cape on 07/15/2011 12:50:10 MDT Print View

Can the mini Poncho one step further. by cutting off the front half and leaving the back as a cape. This way you can use it as a pack cover as well if needed while still getting the ventilation you want in the front. All you would have to do is add a pair of tie offs or something to it to keep it against the pack while moving.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
sounds simple enough on 07/15/2011 13:11:55 MDT Print View

Sounds like a d***ey, but with more shoulder coverage and maybe a hood?

http://www.dakotamainstreet.com/d***iepage.html

missing letters "ick"

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Shoulder Gaiters? on 07/15/2011 13:24:35 MDT Print View

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/pack_hoody.html

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
shoulder on 07/15/2011 13:45:35 MDT Print View

Anna, I'm starting to think you might be all knowing, all powerful, or just all willing to research and reply. =)

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Shoulder Gaiters? on 07/15/2011 15:38:54 MDT Print View

Others answers.

Bike Cape - not as big as a poncho yet covers pack, front and shoulders.

Birch Bark shoulder pads.

Kirsten Roos
(Kirstenr) - MLife

Locale: Anchorage
Shoulder Gaiters? on 07/15/2011 18:33:37 MDT Print View

Very cool ideas!
Anna - I'd never seen that OR pack hoody before. When my wallet recovers from going lightweight this summer I'll take another look at that.

The modified mini Poncho/cape/d**cky ideas sound very interesting. I think I need to sacrifice some trash bags to explore those concepts.
Thanks for all the great input!

EDIT:
Oh.. and I've never heard of a bike cape.. but will check that out. And the Birch Bark...perfect Alaskan attire!! Nice!

Edited by Kirstenr on 07/15/2011 18:35:59 MDT.

Ryan Slack
(RWSlack) - F - M

Locale: Minnesota
Runoff problem? on 07/15/2011 20:22:08 MDT Print View

One issue with rainwear: water needs to have a clear path to the ground. Me, I don't bring rain pants/skirts/chaps at all most of the time, and when it rains I'm satisfied with a dry upper core and very soaked upper legs. When I do wear rain pants, my shoes get soaked. I presume that's what gaiters might slightly mitigate.

Ever wear a rain jacket and jeans around town in the rain? The wettest part of one's body (IME) is right where the jacket ends, even more so than the lower legs.

Anyway, I think that if you just have fabric on your shoulders, the runoff from your shoulders might soak your upper torso even more. My 2 cents.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Runoff on 07/15/2011 20:39:14 MDT Print View

Has anyone tried putting a gutter into a piece of raingear? A creative hem, sewn on a slight diagonal, and tacked down at intervals rather than sewn along its length, might work as a gutter, I think. A clever way would have to be devised to drain the water away at the low points on the hem. A little outward-pointing tube, maybe? Anyone else attempted anything like this?

Ryan Slack
(RWSlack) - F - M

Locale: Minnesota
gutters on 07/16/2011 19:59:20 MDT Print View

Honestly I think the rain skirt/poncho/umbrella/cagoule people may have this right, as seems to limit contact with the legs and doesn't drip all the water onto the feet (only some of it). But then, I only have experience with a poncho, from many years ago.

I do recall seeing many first efforts by Scouts and especially adult leaders in tarp-pitching, enough to recognize that water is surprisingly easy to collect in a gutter, albeit by accident. The problem, as you stated, is in getting rid of it without a catastrophic spill over the edge (in this case, off a jacket and onto one's crotch). Again, I think oversized rain gear may be a simpler fix.

Or a waterproof hoop skirt? ;)

Edited to give credit to those smart umbrella folks. I imagine some of them may come across this thread and think, "that's why I use an umbrella."

Edited by RWSlack on 07/17/2011 09:37:08 MDT.