Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The science of Gatorade
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: gatorade on 07/14/2011 21:15:30 MDT Print View

"I like the orange too but for some reason don't see it for sale any longer"

I bought it all up on my last trip to Montana.

--B.G.--

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
orange gone on 07/14/2011 21:25:47 MDT Print View

geez- thanks Bob! :)

I did a quick search and it is available online, I'll ask my grocer if they can get some in (assuming they can as they carry the individual packs of lemon-lime and fruit punch)

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: orange gone on 07/15/2011 15:07:53 MDT Print View

They sell the orange gatorade in powdered form at most groceries.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: orange gone on 07/15/2011 15:10:33 MDT Print View

Powdered. I think that is what we've been discussing.

Lots of outdoor people buy the powdered form in a 3-pound can.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: orange gone on 07/15/2011 15:22:05 MDT Print View

Yep, Costco.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

packets on 07/15/2011 15:48:05 MDT Print View

I buy the ones in the packets (8 to a box), they're meant to mix w/ a 1/2 liter- no doubt cheaper if I purchased them in a large container (but not easier :))

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: packets on 07/15/2011 15:54:13 MDT Print View

Yes, the packets are handy, but they are expensive for what you get. I keep one of those packets in my emergency stash deep down inside my daypack.

The old quart-size packets were better, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I still take my 3-pound can of powder and dump some in a ziploc bag.

--B.G.--

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: packets on 07/15/2011 16:09:37 MDT Print View

^ agreed- I can save a little coin by buying a case (8 boxes) of the packet ones, probably still no where as cheap as buying a large can though

I tend to splurge a little more on backpacking fare then I do at home (starbucks via being a good example) :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Re: packets on 07/15/2011 23:34:01 MDT Print View

For those who can't find the 4 serving quart sizes:
http://www.minimus.biz/Gatorade-Lemon-Lime-F20-2315101-7200.aspx
http://www.minimus.biz/Gatorade-Fruit-Punch-F20-2315103-7200.aspx
http://www.minimus.biz/Gatorade-Riptide-Rush-F20-2315104-7200.aspx

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Interesting on 07/24/2011 10:53:48 MDT Print View

The author makes a good point though about the central governor model and giving up when there is no reward. I've on several occasion been "at my limit" and utterly exhausted. But given the option of an emergency bivy in cold weather or two more hours of trudging through the dark on "dead" legs...I always seem to make it back to my warm car.

As for gatorade. I love it. It needs to be diluted usually, but after mixing it at least in a 2:1 ratio gatorade to water I'm good to go.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Interesting on 07/24/2011 11:43:00 MDT Print View

Anybody ever heard of nondiluted gatorade causing stomach distress?

I'm not sure if I believe a story once told about it causing that, but thought I'd ask those who use it if they ever get stomach problems from drinking alot of nondiluted gatorade.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Interesting on 07/24/2011 11:46:27 MDT Print View

"Anybody ever heard of nondiluted gatorade causing stomach distress?"

I have a stomach acid problem, and full-strength Gatorade will make it worse. I generally dilute it 50-50.

--B.G.--

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Interesting on 07/24/2011 11:59:01 MDT Print View

Depending on how much I've had to eat or just how strenuous I'm working, and how much I drink, full strength can upset my stomach. The worst case scenario is little food, intense physical effort, lots of gatorade in a short time. This probably parallels B.G.'s stomach acid issues.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Blue stuff on 07/29/2011 15:43:28 MDT Print View

Call me crazy but I actually think the blue Gatorade is pretty tasty... unfortunately never seen it in powder form. The only other flavors I can drink are classic orange and green. The rest is just way to sweet, makes me gag just thinking about it [gag]

BTW, it's also hard on teeth according to my dentist and the stuff actually eats up stainless steel pretty rapidly as well. It has to be processed by components made of special alloys (so it's probably not a surprise that it's hard on those with stomach issues too)

Edited by JacobD on 07/29/2011 15:46:58 MDT.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
New: The other "ade" on 07/29/2011 23:42:08 MDT Print View

I've been an ardent proponent of Gatorade for years and like it somewhat diluted, as others have mentioned. A few years back it was rated by sports nutritionists as just as effective at rehydration as much more expensive sports drinks...and I can always find it on sale somewhere. However, this spring Powerade was on sale - the advanced electrolyte Powerade - for about $3.69 for a 1 lb can, which will mix up 2 gal. While Gatorade has only sodium, Powerade has sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium, all electrolytes lost in sweat. But this "ade", too, I prefer a bit diluted, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth. By the way, Powerade has only 13 g sugar compared to about 20 g in Gatorade. Try some, you might like it!

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Re: Blue stuff on 07/30/2011 06:56:08 MDT Print View

"Call me crazy but I actually think the blue Gatorade is pretty tasty... unfortunately never seen it in powder form." I've got the blue gatorade in powder and it verges on gross. I can tolerate the blue in bottles. I think I'll stick to the orange powder when I can find it.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
blue on 09/20/2011 21:11:51 MDT Print View

Check walmart. they might not have it in the big can but they usually have it in the smaller plastic "jars". our grocery stores usually only have the smaller ones.

Gatorade does their taste testing and stuff with people at various degrees of exercise. Cycling i use more diluted then when i'm hiking or rock climbing.

I've started using NUUN on longer rides when i need to refill bottles. It's definitely more pricey and i try to get it when it's on sale. for those using sealed bottles. it's fizzy so either let it dissolve all the way and let some of the bubbles out or be aware of it when you open the cap :)

For me i like some sort of flavoring since i will drink more water that way than plain.

Don Morris
(hikermor) - F
Stomach upset and Gatorade on 09/27/2011 18:02:51 MDT Print View

I have had an upset stomach drinking Gatorade when doing long runs (15-20 miles). Not so much of a problem when hiking, but I generally cut it 50-50 with water.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Look to the sugars on 09/28/2011 07:18:26 MDT Print View

The "thing" with Gatorade is the sucrose. If you look to the more advanced and expensive electrolyte drinks (which are typically powdered), you'll find that in addition to a host of different salts and such, they use more complex sugars that are more effectively burned and less likely to produce stomach upset. No surprise that full strength Gatorade will upset some hikers stomachs...you should see what it does for runners and cyclists.

Gatorade is fine if it works for you. There are much better products out there, however. Some are listed here in the thread.

Personally, I use one that the US Olympic coaches had their athletes using, after they tested it for effectiveness and vetted it for ingredients that could foul a blood test (it's not just 'roids that can bounce results), when an Olympic rower worked for me while she trained for Sydney: Cytomax. I actually like the orange, since it tastes like Tang but works gooderer. We've been using it in our family for years, mixed a little light, and now carry the powder on trail, too.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Look to the sugars on 09/28/2011 08:28:37 MDT Print View

I figured it was the sugar causing GI upset with full strength gatorade, but another was attempting to tell me it was the sodium levels.