Are you "packing" while you are packing?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 10:04:42 MDT Print View

Three way shootouts are what I worry about. One on one, I've trained for that. But three ways? Sheesh. How could I ever train enough? Can I get my gun out of the pack fast enough? Who's going to shoot at who first? I have discovered some secrets: it's part a matter of reflexes, part psychology. You have to look your enemy in the eye- the shootout is often won or lost before it's even started. The skilled user of a revolver can actually shoot it faster than a semi-auto.

Three way shootouts are what I worry about.

How can you prepare for this?

Edited by xnomanx on 07/13/2011 10:10:12 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 10:23:34 MDT Print View

Craig, that's the difference between still being a young pup and being an old dog. How do you prepare? Why, you read the script, that's how. Never fails......

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 10:29:49 MDT Print View

You tellin' me there's a way to know who's gonna shoot first?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 10:38:18 MDT Print View

"You tellin' me there's a way to know who's gonna shoot first?"

Kinda spoils the fun, don't it. But at least you stay alive.......

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
guns. on 07/13/2011 10:38:47 MDT Print View

I agree that the things that are likely to kill you in the wilderness are not likely things helped by carrying a gun. Hypothermia, dehydration, injuries, lack of itinerary and exit plans, heat stress, snow and ice, water crossings, driving to the trailhead. It's all risk awareness and mitigation.

And please don't shoot snakes.

seth t
(diggity) - F
oo on 07/13/2011 10:46:34 MDT Print View

oo

Edited by diggity on 04/06/2012 20:44:17 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 10:57:42 MDT Print View

Can anybody spot the anachronism in Lee Van Cleef's setup?

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Three way shootouts on 07/13/2011 11:15:03 MDT Print View

""Can anybody spot the anachronism in Lee Van Cleef's setup?""

I think Lee was trying to stay on the lighter side by carrying that cap and ball shooter, but he'd obviously forgotten that reloading it with cartridges would be a little difficult, as well as make that belt a little heavier.

It's like bringing along a 7oz canister for your Caldera 12-10.

Edited by AaronMB on 07/13/2011 11:19:01 MDT.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Weight For It ... on 07/13/2011 11:48:28 MDT Print View

Um, aren't guns heavy? What are you looking at for weapon and ammunition weight-wise?

(And what is your arming status? Do you hike with a chambered bullet? Clip in the gun?)

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: Are you "packing" while you are packing? on 07/13/2011 12:31:32 MDT Print View

"Are you 'packing' while you're packing
Asked the OP with a grin
The responses were quite tepid
Until Beartooth ambled in---"

the idester, STERing things up and putting the "Ide" back in sidearm.

And maybe the "short" back in shortarm.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/origin-term-short-arm-inspection-t1161.html

Edited by oware on 07/13/2011 12:44:40 MDT.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Packing while Packing on 07/13/2011 12:40:23 MDT Print View

I have everything under control.
Some wacko pulls a gun on me and i pull out this:Grizzly and rabid hiker defence system-Patent pending

Orignally created as a grizzly bear defence system, my revolutionary patent pending design works equally well on rabid hikers.
The toothbrush scares bears because wel all know they never like to brush their teeth.
I use the tweezers to pull the nose hairs out of the guy aiming a gun at me.. kinda hard to shoot straight with tears in your eyes!
I know.. pure genius.

James Neal
(Laien) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Indeed on 07/13/2011 12:57:31 MDT Print View

All my backpacking friends and I are armed when we go out. Many of us are retired military including myself (11B). Some are retired and current law enforcement officers. We are all extensively trained and have CCPs. I carry a loaded .357 with 2 speed loaders in a shoulder holster for easy access. I didn't carry a firearm for many years. However, we now have a lot of meth heads down here that like to cook in our woods not to mention a feral pig population that has exploded. I don't shoot snakes or bears, but I have seen some pigs shot. Fortunately, I have never needed it. But my training tells me that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Personally, I don't care if it is politically correct. It is my Constitutional right.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Are you "packing" while you are packing? on 07/13/2011 13:20:22 MDT Print View

"And maybe the "short" back in shortarm."

Thanks for the link, that's priceless! Who says history can't be fun!

alan barber
(azbarber) - F

Locale: SE
packing while packing on 07/13/2011 13:23:43 MDT Print View

I've been backpacking almost 40 years. I've always carried where it was legal. It has come in handy about as many times as my first aid kit. Some people may choose not to carry one of those either.

Seems like I'll continue carrying it. It's my life, my choice, and it affects other people not at all.

And for those asking about weight, 20 oz.

Az

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Are you "packing" while you are packing? on 07/13/2011 14:55:23 MDT Print View

A good percentage of people are armed when in the NE Washington backcountry.

There is a bear or cougar attack at least once a year.

Many already have the firearms, so bring that instead of pepper spray which has fewer other uses and a shelf life.

Washington state is a shall issue state so if you are not a prohibited person you can
get a carry permit for about $50 and a trip to the sheriff to fill out paperwork. Open
carry is okay without a permit too.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Indeed? on 07/13/2011 16:20:26 MDT Print View

" Fortunately, I have never needed it. But my training tells me that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

I am generally pro "live and let live" -- but this mantra is actually quite at odds with the spirit of backpacking light...

Edited by ben2world on 07/13/2011 16:22:22 MDT.

James Neal
(Laien) - F

Re: Indeed? on 07/13/2011 16:34:38 MDT Print View

You are entitled to your opinion. However, my summer base weight is under 7lbs and my winter base weight is under 12lbs. I'll carry a weapon if I choose to.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Indeed? on 07/13/2011 16:55:24 MDT Print View

James:

It is obvious that you are extremely judicious about what you carry vs. what you leave behind. Besides, who's to say a gun is not every bit as appropriate as a PLB or a GPS, or whatever other gear pieces that people choose to carry?

Not an issue with guns per se (as indicated in my earlier post). It's the mantra -- which too often gets people to over pack far beyond what they need to. In your case, even though you stated it, methinks you don't actually subscribe to it -- not really -- else you would never have gotten down to 12 lbs for winter hikes! :)

James Neal
(Laien) - F

Re: Re: Re: Indeed? on 07/13/2011 17:07:54 MDT Print View

" Fortunately, I have never needed it. But my training tells me that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

This statement was in reference to my weapon only. I have been backpacking for 40 years this summer and I have carried the 50-70lb pack many miles, not to mention some of the packs I carried while in the Army. Ridiculous. Through this forum, several books and some field training I have learned that I don't need much of what I once carried. I have completely replaced all my gear and I have certainly adopted the "Backpacking Light" philosophy.

I failed to mention that I have also converted most of my friends to this way of backpacking. There are still a couple of hold outs, but they are starting to see the light.

Edited by Laien on 07/13/2011 17:18:16 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Indeed on 07/13/2011 21:05:39 MDT Print View

I have a CPL. I don't hide that fact. Considering the background check needed to get the CPL, if you hand over that piece of paper or plastic to an officer that shows that you were willing to be fingerprinted and have your background looked into.

I have also taken a hefty of boring but good for me classes, as dictated to me by my husband, on what is good for understanding my legal responsibilities in carrying. We shoot as a family, it is a hobby to us no different than hiking.

I am all for using my constitutional right even if many don't want it.

And not everything is heavy. Please. When compared to the load I currently carry - the most precious cargo I will ever carry, a firearm is nothing to it. Truly nothing.