Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent on 07/13/2011 18:20:25 MDT Print View

Hike from dawn to dark and not worry about solar gain.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Reflective Rocket on 07/13/2011 18:50:04 MDT Print View

Douglas Ide said: “I bought the Brooks Range Rocket tent, which is the reflective cuben.” Douglas, have you formed an over-all impression of the Rocket?
P.S. I heard of one owner who thought the breathability could be better, so he removed the cardboard-tube part of a peanut can, leaving a metal ring that was light yet strong. He sewed one spot on the ring up to the eyebrow of the vent, allowing him to flip the ring down to keep the vent open, or up to allow the vent to fall flat.

Edited by RobertM2S on 07/13/2011 19:08:19 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Reflective Rocket on 07/13/2011 19:03:38 MDT Print View

"have you formed an over-all impression of the Rocket? "

I have not. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I bought it as a solo winter tent, but got it recently, so I won't actually use it til November/December.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent" on 07/13/2011 19:33:18 MDT Print View

"Hike from dawn to dark and not worry about solar gain."

Nailed it.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re: non-existant on 07/13/2011 21:01:05 MDT Print View

Bob,

What I was getting at was using a shelter as dryer for wet gear in the evening.

You'll set up the shelter and the air inside will be equal to outside in terms of temp and humidity (relative and absolute) and you'll put you're wet gear inside.
B/c of the greenhouse effect the inside will heat up (air and wet gear). Air's relative humidity drops. Both of these act to evaporate water from the the wet gear (increasing humidity).
Some air exchange happens as a result of convection (as already described) but an elevated temperature and absolute humidity is obtained (elebated relative to what it would have been with no greenhouse effect).

The sun goes down and the temperature drops (approaching ambient -- and dropping below if the conditions are right) resulting in an increaing relative humidity and probably condensation). The way I am seeing it the condensation will be greater by using the tent as a dryer b/c the humidity was made greater.

Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
experiences? on 03/25/2013 23:54:16 MDT Print View

Has anybody tried one of these out yet? They look pretty darn amazing.