Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backpacking for the girly girl
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Speaking of Match.com on 07/11/2011 19:37:53 MDT Print View

Oh man, this has to be a BPL first.

Bryce, listen realllly carefully dude, she's practically spelling it out for you here.

Nano-seeum floor is not a bathtub floor, doesn't sound like Kathleen is thrilled about a pantyhose thin floor, nor does a 5 or 6 lb. baseweight mean much in this case. Quality over quantity.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
The Plan on 07/11/2011 19:38:11 MDT Print View

- More day hikes
(The challenge is to find time in our busy schedule and find hikes scenic enough in the cruddy area I'm in to keep her interested with scenic vistas and whatnot. This will also allow is to get into shape together for her to handle an overnight.)

- More car camping
(perhaps bring an ultralight shelter to try a night in right next to the car camping tent to fall back on.)

- Day hike w/ hot lunch and longer mileage days.
(Cook a little w/ some relaxation time at a nice spot, then hike some more.

- Overnights at car-camping spot with tarp or UL tent/shelter.
(get her away from car-camping tent and bathrooms)

- Overnight, few miles each way.
(Put it all together in a short overnighter)

Any other suggestions or additions to the plan?

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Other kickers on 07/11/2011 19:44:50 MDT Print View

Kathleen is vegan. I'm not a pro with my hiking diet, but it works for me and I keep it simple. When/If we get there, keeping her nutrition and energy level up will be a learning experience for both of us.

About buying a tent or anything but "the best" (yeah I know, all an opinion), it's very difficult for me. I'm blown through a good amount of money to get to some of the lighter stuff out there. I realize she has to be comfy in order to embrace this activity in the slightest, but it pains me to buy 3-4 times over. I'd rather buy a Bear Paw 2 or Hexamid Twin w/ full bug floor and polycro ground sheet and then sell it if she isn't game. Hrmmm.....Heck she doesn't even have non-cotton hiking gear yet. We'd really have to plan this out well.

Maybe I'd borrow a shelter from a BPLer.

Edited by bster13 on 07/11/2011 19:46:09 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Backpacking for the girly girl on 07/11/2011 19:52:59 MDT Print View

Do your boyfriend a favor and don't.
Find a place with awesome day hikes and rustic cabins.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
"Backpacking for the girly girl" on 07/11/2011 20:00:37 MDT Print View

Sorry but I think you need a listen to the Beatles doing " You're going to lose that girl." Look Out.

Edited by Meander on 07/11/2011 20:07:07 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Other kickers on 07/11/2011 20:06:34 MDT Print View

For food check out Sarbar's Freezerbag Cooking or Pack-it Gourmet's website. They have nice pre packaged meals that are very good.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: "Backpacking for the girly girl" on 07/11/2011 20:13:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for your concern John, but we moved in a few months ago and are going strong. If anything we'll just concentrate on things we both like to do outside of backpacking and ignore certain downers. ;)

Bradford, thanks for the food ideas. I'm 1/2 Vegan now because...well....that's what she cooks at night and it tastes good. haha. I'd like a little more protein in our diet, so I'll have a look at that website and do some research.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
What Tim and John just said on 07/11/2011 20:15:38 MDT Print View

I agree. She does not have to backpack for you guys to have a great life and forcing this could be the end. I would take it slow and easy and make it rewarding like great scenery without much work and you make sure that you do for her things that she wants that you would not normally do. I would definatly not get her right into UL backpacking Dont make her deal with every aspect of this at once. Start with a very short hike on a perfect day and if this works out try a little more.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Didnt see your last post b4 I posted on 07/11/2011 20:23:38 MDT Print View

Sounds like you got the right idea Bryce

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: What Tim and John just said on 07/11/2011 20:23:46 MDT Print View

No, she does not ~have~ to backpack, but we both try to do things together when we can and realize we both need alone time as well. I've never seen art until I met her. :)

I will try to find a relatively light full floor tent to borrow from a friend and work that into my plan:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50465&skip_to_post=427445#427445

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Girly girl vegan food on 07/11/2011 20:29:05 MDT Print View

Buy Mike C's latest book, if for nothing else than the recipes. It's vegetarian but you could easily make that vegan.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Loaner gear on 07/11/2011 20:32:51 MDT Print View

Hey Bryce I got a Walrus Zoid 2 would loan free if you paid shipping its just over 4 pounds (gulp) but closes up nice and has a lot of coverage very high bathtub floor If you cant find any thing lighter

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: SMD Haven Tarp/Net Tent on 07/11/2011 20:33:10 MDT Print View

I think the Haven Tarp/Net Tent or equivalent (where the tarp is cuben fiber) is the ideal solution. A good double wall, ultralight tent for two.

I looked at the MLD Duo Mid with its Dual Inner Net and the difference is so negligible in ounces. I like the interior spaciousness of the Haven Tarp. I say go for the Haven Tarp with the Net Tent inner too. (by sixmoondesigns.com)

http://tinyurl.com/6d4jg87

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Backpacking for the girly girl on 07/11/2011 20:42:47 MDT Print View

Bryce -- think long term here. Ten years from now, three kids and you need some quiet time. Try negotiating a seven day outing at this point.

Ah well, you kids will figure it out. Have fun.

(BTW -- NPS has the best out houses according to my gals)

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: What Tim and John just said on 07/11/2011 20:43:52 MDT Print View

What's wrong with hiking to a backcountry cabin or hut?

Consider Upper Goose Pond cabin or Bascom Lodge on the AT in Massachusetts. How about the AMC huts in the White Mountains? If you stay at the huts during caretaker season, the cost is more reasonable...

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Voice of experience on 07/11/2011 20:49:39 MDT Print View

Kathleen,

I applaud your attitude and desire to share backpacking with Bryce. But I think it's a bad idea - a view based on intimate personal experience.

I was in the same fortunate situation many years ago with a woman who wanted to go backpacking with me, for the same reasons. Not only a good sport, she's an athletic woman who doesn't need a hair dryer every day. I liked camping and she thought she'd like it because I did. We planned the trip together so that it wouldn't be too tough, and we'd have great scenery and good weather. After a lovely hike in we set up camp and it started raining, rain that continued until about 3 am, when it turned to now (in August in Colorado). After two wet and miserable evenings we bailed, to a bed and breakfast with clean sheets and a hot shower. That was the end of her very brief backpacking career.

I really think this is genetic - some wonderful people just aren't meant for backpacking. If you insist on going, start out with some long day hikes, from a rustic cabin or B & B. Pack a real picnic lunch, or dinner if you're somewhere it stays light until 10 pm. Try camping under the stars in your back yard. Whatever you do, do NOT try anything radical until you've car camped or backyard camped and survived.

Bryce, I'd avise the biggest tent you can find - don't even think about UL. Same with food and other amenities. Some things are worth more than winning the latest weight contest.

Richard

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Huts & Cabins on 07/11/2011 20:52:35 MDT Print View

@Tim, we're Childfree by choice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childfree) so no kids for us, but yeah at some point we may be sick of each other (tomorrow? :p).

For those of you suggesting huts, I've seen them referenced on sectionhiker.com and farther North from us, but nothing I can find on a trail I know of within ~2-3 hours. Will have to look more.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Huts & Cabins on 07/11/2011 21:03:29 MDT Print View

Upper Goose Pond cabin is about 50 miles north of Salisbury, CT on the AT, it's a fairly short walk from several road crossings. Bascom Lodge is on the summit of Mt Greylock, which has road access, and is near North Adams, MA...

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: Re: Huts & Cabins on 07/11/2011 21:15:18 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info... I'll check some of these out:

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/cabins-campgrounds/

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Huts & Cabins on 07/11/2011 21:24:16 MDT Print View

Bryce- You gotta crawl before you walk.

She is new to camping. She will not be down with true UL tents. I say +1 Scarp 2. Or meet in the middle with the TTDR. Weigh the pros and cons of 3lbs vs. her being uncomfortable and in your ear about it for the entire trip because it WILL be your fault. You can get away with UL everything else- just not a tent. It will benefit both of you to have a 'whole' tent.

Plus, it will show your commitment. ;)