Tyvek Envelopes = Camp Shoes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

Locale: PNW
Tyvek Envelopes = Camp Shoes on 07/11/2011 13:48:17 MDT Print View

The Post Office has envelopes that are for 2/3 day Priority Mail, as does FedEx. I opened up the envelopes, folded them over my feet, outlined with a sharpie, and made myself some camp shoes with the aid of some duct tape. They come up just over my ankle, and worked really well over the holiday weekend. Very nice not to pull on my Merrells to leave the tent..

(I also had a pair of pedicure slippers from a pedicure which I used for the inner sole. With these the pair weighs an ounce.)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Tyvek Envelopes = Camp Shoes on 07/11/2011 14:03:07 MDT Print View

"...with the aid of some duct tape"

Clear package sealing tape would likely be lighter.

--B.G.--

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Tyvek Envelopes = Camp Shoes on 07/11/2011 14:08:41 MDT Print View

Nice Laural!

You can also use your insoles as...insoles:) At the end of the day just take them out of your shoes/boots and but them in your new tyvek camp shoes.

I like your idea. May have to do something similar.

Todd

Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

clear packing tape on 07/11/2011 15:46:57 MDT Print View

Ha, I totally used clear packing tape at first (since it was RIGHT BY the envelopes), but it failed at camp, where all I had was duct tape!

edit: My soles are factory so I'm wary of taking them out.

Edited by lauralbaby on 07/11/2011 15:47:50 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: clear packing tape on 07/11/2011 15:49:14 MDT Print View

The other sticky alternative is to use the self-adhesive stick strip that is made on the envelopes. You peel off the paper and it is already there.

--B.G.--

Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

sewing on 07/12/2011 22:33:53 MDT Print View

Boyfriend insisted that sewing was the way to go.

Old shoe:
right foot

New shoe:left foot

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: sewing on 07/12/2011 22:41:56 MDT Print View

Ahhh, you used a Fedex envelope. I used a USPS envelope. Completely different colors.

When you start your backpack trip, the bottom of these things will be very thin. Each day, as you eat your food bars, you flatten out the wrappers and stick them inside on the bottom of these slippers, sort of as extra padding.

--B.G.--