Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Handsaw as Axe

Display Avatars Sort By:
Timothy Reynolds
(magrenell) - M

Locale: New England
Handsaw as Axe on 07/11/2011 12:25:34 MDT Print View

Hi;

I distinctly remember that someone posted here, last year, a youtube video of a British dude showing how to cut large pieces of wood into quarters using only his handsaw. (This involved the vigorous whacking of said wood upon the ground).

I can't, for the life of me, find this video. I'd like to review his technique. Can anyone help direct me to it (if you know what I'm talking about)? Or, even better, do you have a technique of your own you'd like to share?

Thanks.

Tim.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Handsaw as Axe on 07/11/2011 12:52:13 MDT Print View

I remember the video.

Cut halfway through the wood and hit against hard surface untill it splits. Do the same for the other end. Cut the other piece and half and then you have quartered wood.

However LNT best practices would recommend against the use of a saw or axe in the backcountry, preferring dead, downed wood no larger then your wrist. Plus, its lighter.

A D
(wentworth) - F
Ray on 07/11/2011 19:20:27 MDT Print View

It's an extra on the Ray Mears Bushcraft dvds. I think someone has uploaded them all to youtube.
Good technique that works well.

Timothy Reynolds
(magrenell) - M

Locale: New England
Thanks on 07/12/2011 09:07:08 MDT Print View

Yes, Ray Mears has a very succint clip about this on youtube. Thank you.

And, I found the video I was originally looking for -- this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2EI7rjn2E&feature=fvsr