Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BPL meets Match.com
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
I'm a lucky SOB... :) on 07/11/2011 18:28:20 MDT Print View

I met the future Mrs. Mags on a moonlight hike I organized

She backpacks, backcountry skis, love to go canyoneering, would rather have a nice campsite than a hotel room,
thinks a cookout at a state park is a wonderful idea for our wedding
(and our 'lodging' for us and our guests is a group campsite).
She won't cowboy camp..but no one is 100% perfect. :D
(And...just ask her about the mess I make in our kitchen. ;-) )

And she is easy on the eyes (if I do say so myself). Sure, I'm gloating... :)

Adrianna

Edited by PaulMags on 07/11/2011 18:29:49 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 19:01:04 MDT Print View

"I think the % of women involved in anything fun worth doing in life is only about 10%."

Could be true. Could also be that about 10% of men would say/ think so. ; )

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 19:19:49 MDT Print View

"I think the % of women involved in anything fun worth doing in life is only about 10%"

Whoa! How you going to meet ANY women with that way of seeing things? And if you don't think the women in and of themselves ARE the fun that makes life truly worth living, we've reached a sad state of affairs. And furthermore, who's to say that we men have the slightest clue about what IS worth doing? (not that I really believe that... I think I've found what is worth doing for myself). Maybe I've been blessed. I've known a lot of very interesting and fun women. And I definitely don't mean that only romantically.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 19:58:25 MDT Print View

Wow. Some of ya'll need to lighten up!

Married 27 years, just calling it like I see it. OK, I guess I should have said only 10% of the women really like most of the outdoor things guys like. Better?

Edited by skinewmexico on 07/11/2011 20:03:52 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Better on 07/11/2011 20:13:54 MDT Print View

Joe, those were pretty lighweight responses. Yeah, better, but keep in mind that a good number of men ( I won't even attempt a percentage), would rather not have any women involved in "their" outdoor activities. Reasons seem to range from wanting time away from the opposite sex, to male bonding, possibly some fear that some little female might even do better than them and a myriad more. But yeah, I wish there were more women out there doing stuff like this.

Edited to clarify that the "reasons " I listed are by no means exhaustive.

Edited by Kat_P on 07/11/2011 21:38:00 MDT.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Re: Better on 07/11/2011 21:10:50 MDT Print View

Hey, P-MAGZ... BARF

Katharina, can't argue with anything you threw down there, although the "reasons" don't seem to cover my gamut.

Funny funny reading today.

Edited by timdcy on 07/11/2011 21:23:37 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 22:11:38 MDT Print View

"I think the % of women involved in anything fun worth doing in life is only about 10%."

Ah Joe. I'd say you've probably got it about right. At least on the east coast!

"Edited to clarify that the "reasons " I listed are by no means exhaustive."

I don't know Kat, I was exhausted reading them........;-)

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/12/2011 14:03:45 MDT Print View

I met my wife on a Seattle Mountaineers trip for singles many years ago.

Those trips were called "Swingles" trips back then. It's a wonder that anyone signed up for those trips with a name like that.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Better on 07/12/2011 16:39:34 MDT Print View

"possibly some fear that some little female might even do better than them and a myriad more"

Happens all the time, but it only hurts the first time. After that, the ego sort of callouses over and you can admire a fit female just like a fit male when they smoke your butt on some long uphill grind. I've known a lot of very fit women in my time, runners, climbers, and backpackers, and have found them generally a lot of fun to be around, with the notable exception of the occasional hard a$$ with something to prove.

"But yeah, I wish there were more women out there doing stuff like this."

+1 big time!

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Like this woman? on 07/12/2011 18:06:00 MDT Print View

"possibly some fear that some little female might even do better than them and a myriad more"

Like this woman?

woman

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
In all seriousness (hah) on 07/12/2011 18:30:34 MDT Print View

It's an interesting thought: If backpacking is one's number one hobby and source of satisfaction (not the only thing, but the key thing), does one's significant other need to share in the hobby? What about respect the hobby?

It isn't my case on the home front but it doesn't seem to get in the way of an otherwise great relationship. I sneak off at least one weekend a month and then return home to dream about gear and plan the next trip. What I don't get to do because the wife doesn't share the hobby is go on longer trips of a week or more since it would be selfish to use all of my vacation time for a pursuit of something that doesn't include her.

If I could wave a magic wand and make her an avid backpacker, I would. But I can't. And things seem to work out fine.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: In all seriousness (hah) on 07/12/2011 18:58:57 MDT Print View

I my wife through a complete fluke: an idiot roommate who responded to an ad about cooking dinners in Madison Wisconsin.His loss my gain although she wouldn't have liked him. We both loved to hike. We would go out even when it was -15 and walk on the frozen lakes. As it got warmer we went anywhere we could. Wisconsin isn't that great for hiking. We did everything within 75 miles. Finally Summer arrived and we went back to where she had done waitress duty for Glacier National Park years ago. We hiked for a week with heavy gear by today's standards. We loved it. We moved to Oregon and started backpacking every summer month and day hiked every other week. Then an idiot timing green lights while visiting from Back East hit my wife as she went into work on a Saturday morning. She developed a bad case of Fibromyalgia. We won a small settlement but backpacking was gone for us. So what. We turned to Day-hiking again. It can be pretty great, and since we had a kid it all fit in. Then by another fluke we discovered in a year in Beijing that an ultra-hard Asian mattress made the symptoms turn into just an occasional problem. When we returned home her symptoms reappeared in a week on a futon. We went shopping at once and bought the firmest mattresses available . The pain went away and I happened to read about Reparagen at the NYT. 3 years in she is free of pain and we are backpacking again. My daughter grew up on those day-hikes and loves Backpacking. Reality may throw you a curve , but believe me they are hard core and love it . Hole in the Wall beckons.

Edited by Meander on 07/12/2011 19:51:01 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: In all seriousness (hah) on 07/12/2011 19:02:58 MDT Print View

>> does one's significant other need to share in the hobby?

Not really. I'm married 35 years. Her passion is more into growing flowers in our yard. But the one or two backpacks we go on together each year are really special. Different. Would not trade them for more miles or more lighter or anything.

She was (still is) one helluva athletic woman. Was a eally good skier. Strong. You would never describe her as meek. And the mother bear in protecting her two sons - for sure. I could not imagine having spent most of my life with a fragile lilly. But there is nothing wrong with one if that is what works for you.

Congrats Mags! I predict at least a couple of sons and maybe a couple of daughters too. You two will do well!

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Ah! on 07/12/2011 19:13:38 MDT Print View

>>PMAGSZ BARF!

A very erudite answer to express jealousy. ;-P

>>SONS AND DAUGHTERS

Egads! I may have been raised Catholic (and one of 16 grandchildren on my Mom's side) but the whole 'g forth and multiply' bit is one lesson from my childhood I am going to pass on thankyouverymuch.... :)

@John N

That's awesome! Continued happy trails. What a great ending to what could be less-than-happy outcome.

Edited by PaulMags on 07/12/2011 19:16:22 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
"BPL meets Match.com" on 07/12/2011 19:44:31 MDT Print View

Glad you dug it. I am reminded of Ezra Pound imprisoned in Mussolini's Italy for hosting a music show. What Thou Lovest Well Remains. The Rest is Dross. He ended up studying the ants that came into his cage.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/13/2011 21:17:29 MDT Print View

I met my husband on a hike - we had first talked on the BP forums way back, he was thinking of moving West and asked if there was any hiking out my way. When he moved out months later I invited him on one. We met, we hiked, became friends and 3 1/2 years after meeting we got married.

In our hiking group 3 other of the ladies have gotten married to guys that hiked with us. That means 8, 8 people got married.

I guess it isn't easy - I mean I know what it was like. But if what one is doing isn't working, go find a new thing to try. That is why those Mtneers Singles outings mentioned work - they threw people together who would have never met. And that is what happened with me and Kirk.

Even then....when it comes to hiking my drive is much stronger. And that is OK - he gets days free of me when I go do dumb trips ;-)

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
Re: Re: Better on 07/21/2011 21:52:17 MDT Print View

Lol women smoking men on long uphill grinds...

My wife kicks my but on all climbs but I have become a master at hiding the lunar duo in her pack when she runs off to pee

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Better on 07/22/2011 17:02:59 MDT Print View

"but I have become a master at hiding the lunar duo in her pack when she runs off to pee"

Stealth and cunning will carry the day, something every man must learn as he ages and his capabilities diminish. What's harder to take is when you start having to depend on stealth and cunning while you're still in your 20's. :(

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/25/2011 11:56:49 MDT Print View

Joe, only 10% of women may like the same sort of outdoor things men do, but we're the best 10%! :D And I loved your list of comparability, too funny!