Forum Index » Chaff » BPL meets Match.com

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 11:25:05 MDT Print View

So, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if BPL started a forum just for us single BPLers looking to date other backpackers! This is the perfect place to meet others of the opposite persuasion who love to backpack as much as we do!

Ummmmmm, well, the more I think about it, that would mean that potential Matches would probably read the forums and already be acquainted with my personality. Shoot, I'm screwed.

Unless! They just wanted to use me for my cuben! Hey! I'm usable! I've got cuben!

Okay, that's enough conversation with myself for one day. (Gosh I love lunch hour........)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 11:40:17 MDT Print View

For a second there I thought you were suggesting that you yourself be used for cuben... as in raw material.

So, matching here would mean light, flighty relationships? And dual use? DIAD? YO-YO? Sans leather? AND only torso length? Sounds kinda doomed to me!

Though I'd really like to meet someone who loves to be out there as much I love to!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 11:46:50 MDT Print View

Not to mention the awkward post-breakup postings...

"His tent wasn't the only thing he couldn't get up"

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 12:13:06 MDT Print View

Heh heh... I see lawyers going after BPL for aiding and abetting false advertisement (she said she was witty and loved to cook but they were all lies... and no way in hell was that a recent hiking photo of her ...) ...

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 12:23:51 MDT Print View

I thought someone already created a meetup.com group for the Beltway area for backpackinglight.com hikers to meet face to face on hikes.

I think it is a fantastic idea and I think meetup.com is the best software/approach to do it, as it fantastic at enabling event-level threads to be created and only those interested in said events get the emails.

Who did that meetup group, again?

I raised the proposal in a mLifer thread some time ago and someone replied about such.

I'd like to see a national meetup group exist though.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
"Cuben makes everything better" on 07/11/2011 12:37:23 MDT Print View

... as someone once said on this site. If that is the case, if BLP does ever meet Match.com either there is hope for all of us or we are all doomed.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Photos please on 07/11/2011 12:40:36 MDT Print View

Would you like to see a photo of my flying diamond. ;)

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Silly Doug... on 07/11/2011 12:59:57 MDT Print View

Given the penchant the denizens of BPL have to swapping gear, perhaps it would be better to combine with Swingers dot com.

Then again, some collect gear (how many shelters DO you have Doug?). Perhaps Doug is looking for a harem. I suspect there is a website for that too.

"Well Mr. Ide, looks like you are Happy to see me!"
"Oh, uhh, that is just the carbon fiber legs for my cuben fiber stool I have here in my pocket"

Edited by BER on 07/11/2011 13:05:26 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 13:05:05 MDT Print View

Great. I can see it now. Doug posing on a bearskin rug wearing only a Cuben rain wrap in his Cuben Lightheart Solo.

(eyes still burning)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Cuben base layer on 07/11/2011 13:11:39 MDT Print View

Hi girls

Good evening ladies.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Cuben base layer on 07/11/2011 14:06:09 MDT Print View

It looks like that dude had some left over scraps from the cuben groundsheet (that he is sitting on) and made a cuben/primaloft diaper - lighter than a Pee bottle.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Cuben base layer on 07/11/2011 14:08:03 MDT Print View

I want to know how Mike got a hold of my picture. I don't model my cuben Depends for just anybody......

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
False advertising on 07/11/2011 14:10:25 MDT Print View

Ah, yes. "When she said she loved to cook on the trail, I thought she meant she loved to COOK on the trail." (Young BPer's, please excuse the old euphemism.)

Stargazer

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Re: Re: re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 14:15:41 MDT Print View

"Heh heh... I see lawyers going after BPL for aiding and abetting false advertisement (she said she was witty and loved to cook but they were all lies... and no way in hell was that a recent hiking photo of her ...) ..."

Just imagine the dramaaa: "He said his base weight was under 6 pounds, but it was really 26, his high tech shelter was a Wentzel tube tent and said he was into tenkara but showed up with a spin rod and powerbait! Lies all lies, sob!"

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Great Idea! Except, on 07/11/2011 14:55:17 MDT Print View

This thread is already the proverbial "sausage fest".

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 15:22:12 MDT Print View

Interesting that none of the ladies have posted on this thread yet. My wife would tell me that is because women are smarter.

At BPLMatch, we'll match you on 13 points of compatibility -

Down vs. synthetic
Single wall vs. double
Quilt vs. bag
Toilet paper vs. none (just for Mike C)
Boots vs. shoes
Trekking poles or not
Cook vs. FBC
Tent vs. Tarp
Cuben vs. silnylon
Frameless vs. framed
Filter vs. chemical
Air mattress vs. CCF
Global warming vs. no global warming

Laural Bourque
(lauralbaby)

Locale: PNW
a female jumps in on 07/11/2011 15:44:44 MDT Print View

Isn't the % of women on this forum something like 10% vs 90% ? And it seems most of us have boyfriends/husbands. Myself, I have 3 brothers, and a comp. sci. degree, so I don't feel uncomfortable in male-heavy surroundings. And my SO doesn't mind if I share a tent with someone else, as long as the cuddling is solely for warmth...

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 17:12:43 MDT Print View

I think the % of women involved in anything fun worth doing in life is only about 10%.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 18:20:53 MDT Print View

"I think the % of women involved in anything fun worth doing in life is only about 10%."

One of the most truthful posts I've ever read Joe.

Ryan

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: BPL meets Match.com on 07/11/2011 18:25:47 MDT Print View

Nah, men and women just have different ideas of what is fun. That's all.