Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Fork Mountain Trail 7 9 11

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Tucker
(BeartoothTucker) - M
Fork Mountain Trail 7 9 11 on 07/10/2011 14:53:02 MDT Print View

This weekend my wife and I met up for a Foothills Trail Conference sponsored hike near Oconee State Park in South Carolina. Sense moving to South Carolina we don't hike as much as we did in Montana and we figured it would be nice to try and meet a few people who share our interest. The hike was on the Fork Mountain Trail in Sumter and Nantahala National Forest in both North and South Carolina. It was an 11 mile hike, I have know idea what the elevation change was...but after hiking Montana for a few years most of the stuff in South Carolina doesn't seem bad to me. :)

Trailhead Sign
We hiked 6.4 miles to the Bad Creek Trail, straight down 1.3 miles to the Chattooga River and Ellicott's Rock. Back up the 1.3 miles and then out 2 miles on the Bull Pen Trail to our vehicles to shuttle back to the starting point.

The majority of the hike was in this wilderness.

Creek and Sunlight

Creek

Indian Pipe
I was told this plant doesn't need light to grow. Indian Pipe...legend is that it grows where some quarrel had occurred.

copperhead
This guy wouldn't get out of the road. After a few tossed sticks and a gentle nudge from a trekking pole we proceeded.

state line
We did cross the state line during the hike.

Chattooga River

Chattooga River 1
We had lunch on the banks of the Chattooga River.

Fording
Experience changes our perspective in life. As a boy in Georgia fords like this one caused some sense of uncertainty. After spending a few years in the Mountain West I realized when approached with caution and wisdom a person can ford much more than I ever would have believed. This was a simple ford.

NC GA SC
This is the exact GPS location of the confluence of the state lines of Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Our destination was Ellicott's Rock. It is actually roughly 50 feet from the GPS point. Pretty amazing that Mr. Ellicott would get so close in 1811 using whatever tools he had at his disposal. I didn't get a picture of the actual rock with the old carvings because my wife didn't trust me to ford the Chattooga with her camera. :)

3 places at once
That's me standing in 3 places at once. Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Edited by BeartoothTucker on 07/10/2011 14:58:52 MDT.