MLD superlight bivy (all net hood)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Raven XL on 07/11/2011 13:31:46 MDT Print View

Well it looks like I may be getting a Tigoat Raven XL for a really good deal. Has full net hood and a side zip. So I may have lucked out :) It definitely sounds like a chest zip would suck during a storm under a poncho tarp, but I think I could live with that if I had to.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
"MLD Superlight bivy on 07/11/2011 21:17:13 MDT Print View

Casey,
One thing that has not been discussed on this thread is the vast difference in footbox size of a Superlight vs a Ptarmigan. I own both bivies & no longer use the Ptarmigan because of its restrictive footbox. It might be ok with a foam sleeping pad or short inflatable pad. I would have concerns with a winter bag in the footbox of the Ptarmigan, also. Another variable to consider is the size of your feet. Perhaps this issue has been addressed in the Raven. Anyone know about this?

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Raven footbox on 07/12/2011 00:21:53 MDT Print View

Yeah I would also like to know before I buy something. I understand the Raven XL can fit inflatable pads and longer winter bags. But I am not sure what the dimensions are because it isn't on the Tigoat website anymore. I don't have huge feet, 10.5" so I think I will be good. I also use a foam pad but I wouldn't mind have a winter bivy along with a summer bivy all in one.

DJ Leavitt
(olegoat) - F

Locale: Foot of the Wasatch Mts.
Raven xl on 07/12/2011 09:14:48 MDT Print View

A little FYI history. TiGoat no longer produces the Raven xl, it morphed into the Raven Omni. The xl was simply a longer version of the Ptarmigan for tall folks. It had the same foot dimensions as the Ptarmigan, so it tended to curl wide full length pads if they were used inside the bivy.

The Raven Omni has a wider foot so it will accommodate long thick pads and heavy winter bags. The unique Omni zip was developed for two reasons... versatility and production. It works as either a chest, L side zip, or R side zip... some folks have more than one sleeping bag and the zipper isn't always on the same side. From a production (inventory) point of view, one bivy covers 3 options... less time and less money. We can keep them on the shelf... faster turnaround time for the customer.

Hope that helps,
DJ