Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MLD superlight bivy (all net hood)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Balza
(equals) - F
MLD superlight bivy (all net hood) on 07/09/2011 20:18:41 MDT Print View

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the mld superlight bivy with the all net hood feature. I was curious if the hood would be all net and not have any sort of fabric to pull over the net. I've been looking at the superlight bivy and the Tigoat ptarmigan bivy and the ptarmigan seems to have some sort of hood to go over the full hooded bug net.

Also if I was to go with the half moon net over the all net hood, does condensation increase a lot with the mld superlight?

Also how much room is in the regular size mld superlight bivy? I will be using a foam pad but I am concerned about my sleeping bag as I use a 15 degree Marmot Pinnacle. I would like to go with the reg size just to save $25, but if I have to for more space I will upgrade to the large.

The Ptarmigan bivy looks really nice too, my only concern is the chest zip entry.

Wild Exped
(bankse) - MLife

Locale: OZ
Half Moon on 07/09/2011 20:36:30 MDT Print View

I went with the half moon. Ive used various gore bivys in the past and with mesh/without a cover, thought that that the 'full mesh' model leaves too few options. I have the large size and like the extra room, when there are a lot of bugs around i can vary the size of the small moon window so its just where my mouth is (fabric covering my ear (side sleeper, bit hard to explain but easy enough in practice).

Where i live is often wet/humid and often the same in colder seasons. I use a reg neoair and either arroyo/pinnacle/helium bags and no real major condensation issues (event foot probably helps if in a small shelter/tarp) the small amount of condensation ive noticed has not been around the head but damp around the torso/thigh region.

hope this helps

Edited by bankse on 07/09/2011 20:42:00 MDT.

Brian Hall
(brian2o0o) - F
bivy on 07/09/2011 21:37:03 MDT Print View

I have the superlight with the full mesh hood. I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I'm guessing you are wanting to know if there is also some type of water resistant cover that goes over the mesh? If that is the case, there isn't anything other than the mesh. I use a poncho tarp and just slide as far into the end as I can which gives me plenty of head room where I don't have to worry about spray.

I also have the regular size. It can be pretty tight in the foot end with my neoair pad and a 30deg down bag inside. If you toss around alot while you are sleeping you will probably want to go with the large, but I think you should have a fair amount of room with a foam pad.

Todd Hein
(todd1960) - MLife

Locale: Coastal Southern California
Just ask Ron... on 07/09/2011 21:42:48 MDT Print View

Ron will give you all of these details...Just e-mail him...

mountainlaureldesigns@yahoo.com

He is a pro...

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 13:20:38 MDT Print View

Does the Tigoat ptarmigan compete well compared to the Mld superlight? I really like both bivies. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the 2 month wait to get the superlight compared to the in stock ptarmigan.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 15:45:22 MDT Print View

Many people have been very happy with their Ti Goat bivys. I have a Superlight and think the side zip is very useful, but I really like the look of the hood on the TiGoat bivy (as it looks like you can vary the netting to fabric ratio). The only negative I have ever hear about the TiGoat is from someone who had the netting rip where it attached to cord that can be used to lift the netting off your face.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 15:54:06 MDT Print View

Yeah I'm not too worried about the mesh ripping. I will probably just leave it down and drape it over my face. If I do tie the netting up I will use some shock cord to give the line a little give so I don't do a sudden move and rip everything.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
Re: Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 15:56:33 MDT Print View

Casey, I've heard of folks special ordering a side-zip on their Ptarmigans too. Might be worth sending Josh an email.

I have the Ptarmigan with net hood, and I like it so far; but, I've only got 2 nights in it.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 16:04:34 MDT Print View

Daniel, how difficult is it to enter the bivy with the chest zip option? If you were to do it all over again would you order the side zip?

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
Re: Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/10/2011 16:24:59 MDT Print View

like I said, I've only used it twice, but it hasn't been memorably a pain yet. In fact, I don't think it's been notably difficult, either. I'm short and agile, though, 5'4" in height, so I may not be the best person to ask to get a realistic picture.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
half moon on 07/10/2011 17:16:30 MDT Print View

mine is a half moon used in conjunction w/ a poncho/tarp- I wanted the additional protection for those nasty wind driven rains

I haven't had any condensation issues w/ mine and the side zip is really nice- it's also very roomy using a full length neo air

I do think that Ti Goats idea of a full mesh, in conjunction w/ a pullover hood is a good one, best of both options

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
All net on 07/10/2011 17:24:09 MDT Print View

I contemplated going for the half-moon design but I like the option of the full head net because you can still close it up as much as you like for extra protection or leave it open all the way given the perfect night; very versatile. I think I will be ordering the ptarmigan next week sometime and go for the full head net style and just use the chest zip. I think I can manage to wiggle in fine...If it didn't cost any extra then I would go for the side zip.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: All net on 07/10/2011 23:31:24 MDT Print View

Trust me - get the full hood. You won't regret it.

As for the tab ripping out - it will - ptarmigan doesn't really sew it in very well. I had someone who sews (Mom) sew mine in a bit better, and now it's fine.

wander lust
(sol)
bivy on 07/11/2011 00:10:44 MDT Print View

Tigoat can sew you a sidezip on itand yeah, the cord on the headnet is not perfectly attached.
I did have condensation issues in mine though. MLD definitely uses the better top fabric. But any Bivy is prone to condesation in very humid conditions.
I would rather go for the Superlight.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Cord attachment on 07/11/2011 01:54:27 MDT Print View

I'm getting some emails about this thread, I'm being lazy and posting some answers here, Thanks! We have greatly improved the hang loop attachment point on the net hood of the Ptarmigan and Raven bivys. The attachment point is now two pieces, one inside one outside, of 70D heat sealable fabric welded to each other through the mesh. The loop proper is then sewn to this. As mentioned before, bungee is still a good idea. M90 and Intrepid, are the exact same fabric. Side zips are an additional $25 and take ~4 additional weeks. Full net hoods are currently shipping same day.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Chest zip vs side zip on 07/11/2011 10:15:12 MDT Print View

How difficult is it to get your sleeping bag and pad and yourself into a chest zip bivy? I've used a side zip before and know that it is convenient, but is a chest zip just as easy to get in?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
MLD superlight bivy (all net hood) on 07/11/2011 12:04:36 MDT Print View

Casey,

I think you are in the Portland area too, and if you want to see a TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy with full net hood, let me know and we can meet somewhere.

One thing to consider is how you will actually use the bivy. It is fairly easy to shove a sleeping pad and quilt/bag into a chest-zip bivy. Then you are (probably) only going to be getting inside ONCE at night to sleep and then OUT first thing in the morning, compared to a traditional tent / Tarptent / net-tent where you might be getting in and out a lot to hang out, escape bugs, etc. A bivy is a compromise to a tent; it is worth it for the light weight but you just won't want to be getting in and out a lot, so the zipper placement isn't critical if you are leaning towards one bivy over another.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Tigoat ptarmigan on 07/11/2011 12:13:34 MDT Print View

Yeah my plan is to be only getting in it to sleep and not hang out in. I'm trying to get a bivy for this summer to get familiar with it before next years PCT through hike. So I think a chest zip will do just fine then. I'm 6' and only a 150 lbs so I should be able to crawl in it fine.

Samuel Kau
(Skau) - M

Locale: Southern California
ptarmigan bivy on 07/11/2011 12:17:51 MDT Print View

casey, I have been using the ptarmigan bivy for around a year now and so far i like it. As far as the chest zip entry, I do not find it that difficult but I don't get up in the middle of the night normally. It's not the most convenient thing to stuff your bag and pad near the end of the bivy but that minor inconvenience does not really bother me.
-Sam

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: ptarmigan bivy on 07/11/2011 13:14:26 MDT Print View

I have a chest-zip ptarmigan. As others have mentioned, the chest zip is a pretty big inconvenience, especially in nasty weather, but since you only have to do it twice a day, it's not that big of a deal. After a few trips, you get used to it, just like you get used all the other compromises you make to reach SUL weights.

I was dealing with heavy thunderstorms this last weekend and trying to get into the bivy while staying clean and dry does require a bit of gymnastics, and isn't 100% possible. When it's dry I just sit in the dirt and brush my butt off sliding all the way in. However, when it's muddy, trying to get your feet in while sitting on the bivy head and keeping your entire body under the coverage of a small 5x8 tarp (half-pyramid pitch for amazing views) during intense rain requires some crazy gymnastics.

It also probably didn't help that I was pretty hammered. I was up at a remote (9mi in) natural hot springs, which is basically one big party most summer and fall weekends. A clothing-optional, alcohol-required trip. Perfect for when you can't find anyone to get out with for a few days, but still want to be social.

My 24-48hr 13L 10-lb SUL backpack (w/food+water) was a huge hit, even with the ranger ("are you up here for the day?"). It was also a great icebreaker with the ladies where numbers and um.. more.. ensued... win! I flew up the 9mi 2700' trail in 3 hours and passed many poor souls who had pack weights definitely in the 30-40lb range. I'm sure I converted a few that weekend.

Edited by lindahlb on 07/12/2011 01:08:23 MDT.